Chapter 6

We were currently parked near Ikoyi Link Bridge, watching the sun begin to set.

“What are we doing here?”

“Appreciating nature and about to have a talk” he replied.

“There’s nothing to talk about” I said.

“Lair” he whispered.

“I’m not lying. It’s your life.”

“Yes it’s my life but...”

“There’s no buts Khalifa, it’s your life, live it however you want. I don’t care.”

“So you don’t care if I spend the rest of my life jumping from one girl’s bed to another?” he asked turning to me.

I looked at him, feeling the tears wanting to fall down my cheeks but I swallowed them down.

“Of course not, you are like a brother to me. I would want to see you settle down with a girl when the time comes”

“Brother… there’s that word” he whispered bitterly.

“What’s wrong with the word?”

“Is that all I’ll ever be to you? A brother” he spat out the word like it was a disease.
I shrugged.

“Is it too bad that I actually want to be more Najma?”

“I don’t see how that applies to all these. You wanted us to talk about your whoring not something that can never happen” I replied looking away.

“Fine, you’re right. We can never happen. I’m too much of a man whore and you are too self righteous to be with someone like me. I’ll stick to what I am good at. Just keep your righteous shit to yourself.” He whispered turning the ignition on.

I looked out of the window the whole ride back home, biting my lip to stop the tears from escaping. He parked in front of my house.

I glanced at him to see him staring at his steering wheel, his jaw clenched. I slowly opened the door and got out of the car. I didn’t look back as he reversed. I unlocked the door and got into the house, I went up to my room, I could hear voices.

I wasn’t ready to face anybody so I made my way to my mum’s room. She wasn’t in. I locked myself in her bathroom, sliding down the door and crying my eyes out.

                      ------------------

I washed my face gently dabbing it with the face towel before I made my way out of Mama’s bathroom. I looked up to see her frowning at me.

“What are you doing in my bathroom?” she asked.

“My toilet was occupied” I lied looking down.

“Are you okay? Have you been crying?” she asked lifting my face, I pulled away shaking my head.

“Something got in my eye.”

She nodded not satisfied with my answer but letting me leave, I walked back to my room, opening to the door to see Farida and Maryam talking.

Why was she still here?

“Ahhhh… there you are. Come sit” Farida said excitedly tapping the space near her.

“I would rather not.” I replied dropping my bag on the table.

“What did Khalifa say?”

“Nothing worth mentioning” I murmured as her phone rang.

“Hello Suls…. Yeah she’s with us….. I don’t know, what happened? …. Oh wow. Okay. I’ll ask her… okay… bye” she ended the call.

“What did you say to Kha…?”

“Can we just drop it please? I’m going to bed.” I cut her off tired of the whole conversation before heading to my bathroom. I locked the door behind me turning on the shower. I wanted to forget the last two hours of my life.

After a refreshing shower, I slipped into my night wear and made my way to my bed only to see Farida lying down on the phone.

I rolled my eyes pushing her to the other side; she glared at me before rolling over so I could lie down.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

“Not really.” I mumbled.

“Don’t worry you’ll pull through, you always do” she said rubbing my back.

“Can I ask you a question?” I nodded.

“What’s up with you and Maryam?”
I sat up sighing.

“Remember those ABU girls I told you about, the ones that think the world revolves around them and are so wrapped up in the superficial life… well she’s a prime example.”

“Are you for real? But she’s so nice”

I couldn’t help the scoff that escaped my lips.

“Because she knows what she can get from you. I mean this girl and her wannabe group literally look down on anybody who doesn’t have a good phone, doesn’t wear a specific brands … look I can go on forever. They are so into the superficial shit and it makes me sick. She literally told me to my face that she doesn’t hang out with people that are not in the same social status as her. Oh did I mention she’s Ummaymah’s friend” I asked finishing my rant.

“Wow… wait… she’s Ummaymah’s friend… wait does she know you are relationship with Khalifa and the rest?”

“No, only Ummaymah knew about my relationship with all of you” I replied.

“And you spilled the beans on Ummaymah in front of her!!!” she gasped eyes wide.

“I know, I don’t care, She can go tell her for all I care” I replied.

“Still, I think we should be careful what we say in front of her.” She advised.

“Whatever you say.” I murmured lying down and switching off the lamp before curling up to sleep.

                      ------------------

I woke up around 3am feeling very parched, groaning when I realized the usual water bottle I kept near my bed was empty. I grumbled getting out of bed and walking to my lounge area.

I could her giggling, I glanced over and saw Maryam on the phone, our eyes met and I looked away filling my cup with water from the jug and gulping it down.
I was about to walk back to bed when I heard her calling my name.

“Najma… you couldn’t sleep? Same fo…”

“Look, lets both do each other a favour alright. You don’t like me; I don’t like you so stop trying to form a conversation with me.” I stated walking out of her sights not even bothering to glance back at her.

She wasn't worth it.

           ********************
A/N

Oh wow... Poor Najma..  Khalifa was being a meanie😭😭😭.

What do you guys think? Let me know down below.

ABU stands for Ahmadu Bello University,which is one of the oldest and prestigious universities in Nigeria and the largest university in Sub Saharan Africa.

The picture in the media is The Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge, commissioned in 2013 by the then Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Raji Fashola.

Comment
Vote
Share 💖💖

Hugs and kisses 💕💕