Chapter 15

I woke up late the next day; I didn’t feel like getting up, I didn’t feel like doing anything. I just wanted to spend the day in bed with little to no interaction but here I was heading to Abba’s house.

I had several missed calls from him and some from Farida and Suls. I paid the taxi man and knocked on the gate, the gateman popped his head out before opening the door for me. I nodded a greeting at him and walked in.

Abba’s house was a massive duplex in Old Ikoyi; the house literally screamed old money. I was about to open the door when it opened and I came face to face with Khalifa, his eyes held no warmth as he brushed past me. I sighed making my way into the house, following the sound of laughter to the game room.

“Suls… you are an idiot.” Abba’s voice rang out. I smiled as I walked in.

“Najmatuuu” Suls greeted waving; his eyes were glued to the TV screen.

“Suls” I replied sitting down.

“Abba, how are you?” I asked.

“I’m great. I should be asking you that question” he said pausing the game.
I sighed.

“I am”

“Don’t lie” Suls chided.

“I really don’t have the energy to talk about this” I whispered staring at my fingers.
Abba opened his mouth about to say something when Maryam came in.

What is she doing here?

I rolled my eyes as Suls excused himself to answer a call.

“Abbaaa, I want to play” she whined pouting.

“Can you play?” he asked her.

“You could teach me” she suggested trailing her finger down his chest.
He stood up excusing himself leaving the both of us. She was humming to herself looking at her nails.

“You do know he’s using you right?” I whispered looking at her. She looked up at me, her brow raised before she sat up.

“I don’t see how that’s any of your business. You seem so good at giving advice… why don’t you use some of that to solve the mess that is your life. Do yourself a favour and stay out of my life, it would be quite unfortunate for something to happen to your already messed up social life, I mean just imagine if someone was to connect the dots between that blurry picture and you” she said smirking. I narrowed my eyes at her.

“You wouldn’t”

“Try me” she taunted before sending me a fake smile. I looked away as Abba and Suls returned, resuming their game.

“Naj… are you in?” Suls asked handing me the controller.

“Uhm… no. I’m about to leave” I whispered getting up.

“Do you have to?” Abba frowned. I forced a smile nodding.

I waved at them and left.

                            **********

I decided to go see Farida next, I was tempted to go home but I didn’t want to be alone anymore. Maryam’s words hung over my head. I paid the taxi man and went up to Farida’s apartment. I was half relieved not to have bumped into Hamza; I wasn’t ready to face him.

I knocked on her door and she opened it before engulfing me in a hug.

“Oh my God… I am so sorry” she whispered. I gently pushed her away.

“Please don’t”

She nodded understanding before letting me in. The living room had been turned upside down. Clothes, papers and materials everywhere.

“Sorry for the mess, but this fashion show has me in knots. It’s like 3 weeks away and I feel like I don’t have a collection ready” she explained sighing.

Farida owned an online fashion clothing line and this was going to be her first time presenting a collection for Lagos Youth Fashion Show.

“But you’ve been prepping for this since” I said looking at some drawings.

“Yes… but there was a mix up with the tailor… this man will be the death of me Allah” I laughed at her.

“You have your models right?”

She nodded. “Yeah, Fatima, Rashid, George and Damilola. The collection consists of 3 pieces for each model, a total of 12 clothing. I am done with 7 out of 12.” She explained as I followed her to a room she had converted into a mini studio. 12 mannequins had been placed in the room, 7 fully clothed.

“This is beautiful” I whispered feeling the silky material of one of the gowns.

“I know right?! I am so excited and nervous for this… I feel like it’s going to be my year.” She grinned literally buzzing with excitement. I smiled back, her excitement brushing off on me.

I spent the rest of the day helping her out with a few suggestions. We ordered for Italian and sat at the balcony eating.

“Have you talked with Hamza?” she asked.

“No, I don’t even know what to say, like I don’t even think I have the courage to look him in the eye after what happened.” I replied murmuring.

“Don’t worry, everything will blow over.”

I sighed wishing it would happen quickly. I left her place after Maghrib and made my way home. I arrived home the same time as Mama.

After paying the driver, I walked over to her car.

“Welcome back mama” I greeted helping her with her bags.

“Hello dear, how was your day?” she asked as we walked into the house together.

“It was okay, I went to see Abba and then to see Farida” I replied. “How was your day?”

“It was tiring; I have a few interns over and girl who needs me to check out her collection for the Lagos Youth Fashion Show.”

“Farida is also showcasing her first collection” I told her, she nodded and I left her downstairs to keep her bags in her room. I met her seated in the dining room, Ada already serving her dinner.

I murmured a greeting to Ada and sat down, after serving us she left us. We ate in comfortable silence.

“Khalifa came over to see me” she said making me almost choke on a bit of chicken.

“Are you okay?” she asked concerned. I nodded gulping down the water.

“Apparently he was invited to showcase his new collection there and he is in need of models” she explained.

“That’s nice” I whispered concentrating on my food. After dinner, I headed upstairs to pray Isha before deciding to call it a night.

                             *******

It was two days later and Farida had decided the entire gang needed to meet; apparently she felt there was a rift forming between all of us. So we were all currently seated in HardRock Cafe.

“Where is Khalifa?” Farida asked looking at her watch.

“At the airport, he’ll meet us here” Abba answered her. I frowned wondering what he was doing there. I shrugged as our food arrived, digging into my fries.

I listened to the conversation; they were mostly talking about the Fashion Show.  Suls was one of the organizers and was giving them details of the show.

“Sorry I’m late” a voice said. I immediately looked up and my eyes widened at the girl standing next to him.

Ummaymah

              ---------------------------------

A/N

Dun Dun Dunnnn!!!!

Ummaymah is here!!!!

What do you think of the chapter?

Please Comment
Vote
Share💖💖

Hugs and kisses 💕💕