Chapter 13

“Najma!!!” I heard mama calling me.

“I’m coming” I yelled back running out of my room down the stairs to see her with Khalifa.

His eyes was on his phone not bothering to look up at me.

“Khalifa came to take you to Farida’s. Go get ready, it’s getting late” she instructed looking at her wristwatch. I nodded walking back upstairs.

Why didn’t he call to tell me?

I pushed the thoughts out of my mind and got dressed in palazzos and a shirt with a turban. I grabbed my bag checking to see whether my wallet and charger was inside. I carried the small box by the door and ran back down to see them talking.

“I’m ready” I announced.

“Have fun” Mama said as Khalifa stood up.

“Goodnight aunty, I’ll make sure mama gets your message” he replied before walking out not even talking to me.

I frowned before following him to his car, he was already in. I got in, placing my small box in the back. He started the car and we drove on in silence.

“Khalifa… are you okay?” I asked.

“Peachy” he replied before turning on the radio effectively ending the conversation before it started.

Fine… if that’s how he wants to be. So be it.

A few minutes later we arrived at Farida’s apartment complex, he parked and switched off the car.

I got out not bothering to wait for him. I opened the back door and grabbed my box, slamming the door shut. I looked back expecting to see him glaring at me instead he was already at the entrance.

He raised his hand a little to press a button on the car key and the car beeped before he entered the complex leaving me standing there fuming.

Idiot

I walked into the lobby and smiled at the receptionist behind his desk. He smiled back and I got into the elevator with Khalifa.

He was on his phone; I looked up watching the numbers increasing as we reached Farida’s level. The door dinged and he walked out.

I followed him and he pushed the door open before standing aside for me to enter. I brushed past him seeing Suls, Abba and ugh Maryam.

“Woman of the hour!!!” Suls hailed as I set my box down.

“Suls how are you?” I laughed making my way to the kitchen to see Farida with a bowl of popcorn.

“Heyyy,  you made it” She smiled giving me a side hug.

“Yeah, Khalifa picked me up” I replied and we walked back to the living room.

“Okay, let’s move to the balcony. Everything is ready” she announced smiling. I decided to take my bag and box to Farida’s room; she already had an air mattress on the floor.

I kept the box before making my way to the balcony when a knocked stopped me. I walked to the door opening it.

“Hamza! What are you doing here?” I asked smiling.

“Farida invited me over for a movie night” he explained.

“Come on in” I replied leading him to the balcony, everybody was seated on bean bags… except Maryam of course. She was sitting on Abba’s lap.

Tch

“Farida look who’s here”

“Hamza welcome!!!” She came over and hugged him.