Chapter 10

“Plum tomatoes.... plum tomatoes... where do they keep plum tomatoes?” I murmured to myself looking at the list.

It was late Sunday and i was at Goodies Supermarket, grocery shopping.

Ada had called in sick so the responsibility fell on me, I decided to skip it and move to the next thing on the list.

Sweet corn

Now this I know where it is. I pushed the cart to the next row and stopped at the sweet corn section. I frowned when I realised they had moved them way up... above my reach.

I hissed wondering how I was going to get to them. I looked around for an attendant but no one was in sight. I stood on the tip of my toes stretching to get the can but I couldn’t.
Huffing, I cursed my lack of height. How the hell was I going to get this wretched can. I felt someone brush against me before grabbing a can above me.

“Here you go” the voice said. I looked up at my saviour to see Hamza.

“Oh my God... Hamza... thank you.” I said smiling.

“No worries. I thought I saw someone like you.” He replied.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

“Shopping” he said lifting the basket he was holding. I noticed he had plum tomatoes.

“Uhm... Hamza where did you get the plum tomatoes?”

“Two rows down” he replied. “Come on... let me show you” he said leading me to the row. He helped me get the cans from the shelf.

“Thanks” I replied as he placed it in my cart.

“Are you done?” He asked.

“Let me see” I said scanning through the list to see what was remaining.

“I have two things remaining. Cheese and Quinoa"

“Okay... you get the cheese and I’ll get the Quinoa... any preference?”

“No... any type” i replied.

“Okay... let’s meet at the check out counter” he said. I nodded smilling watching him walk away. I pushed the cart towards the freezers and got the cheese out. I spied a cup of Snickers Ice cream and decided to add it into the cart.

I pushed the cart towards the check out counter getting in line. I glanced around looking for him.

“Here” he said placing the bag of Quinoa in the cart. He joined the other line and soon we had paid and two attendants were helping us with our bags.

“Your driver is waiting for you?” He asked.

“No... I used an uber” I replied pointing at a sky blue Toyota Corolla.

“Why don’t I drive you home?” He suggested.

“Don’t worry... thanks for the offer though”

“I insist. Please.”

I sighed weighing my options...
If I went with him I would be saving a lot of money...and he’s not really a stranger...

“Sure why not.”

He grinned and I smiled back before walking to the Uber car. I tapped on the window.

“Are you ready to leave Ma'am?”

“Actually. I got a ride so I won’t need you to take me back.” I explained.

“Are you sure Ma’am?”

I nodded. “Alright then... the sum total of your ride and wait here is N3000”
I paid him and made my way back to Hamza.

“Let’s go” I said. He led me and the attendants to a black Range Rover Sports. Me being a massive petrol head , I was impressed at his car.

The attendants placed the bags in the boot and Hamza tipped them. We got in and i couldn’t help but melt into the luxurious leather seat taking in the class of the car.
It had the new car smell... I was in car heaven.

“Where do you live?” He asked. I told him my street and watched as he imputed it into the car’s GPS before driving out of the parking lot.

“You actually depend on that?”

He nodded “I still am relatively new here so yeah... it’s helpful"

‘And it has never landed you into trouble with Lastma?”He laughed at that.

“It has... several times. But I guess I am lucky... I always find a way out without having to pay those fines.”

“Wow... you are lucky. We once had to pay a fine of N50,000.”

“Yikes...”

“So how are you finding Lagos?” I asked.

“it’s nice... the weather is great... the people..  well... they are bearable. But all in all I love it here.” He answered.

“It's an amazing place” I replied.

“How long have you been in Lagos?”

“All my life... I was born here, I grew up here.”

“Cool”

The day being Sunday meant the roads were empty and soon we were in front of the estate. We were stopped by the security men because of the tinted windows. He rolled the window down and one of the men looked in. I recognized him as Daniel. He looked at me before smiling.

“Ah... welcome ma... we didn’t know it was you.” He apologized before telling them to open the gate.

Hamza drove in and I directed him to the house. The security man opened the gates and he parked in front of the house.

“Thanks for the ride” I said.

“It was nothing.” He replied... “uh... I was wondering... my dad was invited to a restaurant opening and he's not going to make it so I am going on his behalf... would you like to come with me?”

I bit my lip

Is he asking me out on a date?!!!

“Think of it as a food adventure”
Food adventure?!!! I am so in.

“I'll have to ask my mum first... I’ll let you know.”

“Sure... no problem.” He replied. “let me help you with your bags". With that he got out and helped me get the bags into the house. I offered him water before escorting him out. I waved watching him leave before going back inside to keep everything away.
Fingers crossed mama would let me go.

                     **************

A/N

Hello everyone!!!!

Short people problems am I right or what? 😂😂.
What do you guys think about Hamza?

He seems really nice.

So LASTMA stands for Lagos State Transport Management Authority. It was formed in 2000 to manage traffic in Lagos.