Chapter 23

Days went by, I didn't see Khalifa that much only during dinner. I had decided staying away from him was the best course of action. I didn't exist in his world, he didn't exist in mine.

I flipped through the book I was currently reading, wondering who actually killed Mr Ratchetti on the Orient Express.

My phone buzzed and I looked down.

Abba Calling

I frowned, why on earth would he call me at this hour.

“Hello”

“Hello am I talking with Najma?” a strange male voice asked.

“Yes you are” I replied suspiciously.

“Uhm, you need to get down here, your cousin is in no state to drive himself and I would hate myself if he ends up dying this night. He seems like a good guy”

“Where is he?” I asked

“Club 45” he replied.

“I’ll be right there” I said grabbing my bag and a shawl. I made my way out of the room, Khalifa wasn’t around, not that he would even acknowledge me if he was.

I had the gateman get me cab and soon I was on my way to Ikoyi. I bit my nail wondering what happened to him.

“Is there a shorter route?” I asked. The driver shook his head, I sighed leaning my head against the window and watched the scenery.

Fifteen minutes later, we arrived at the club. I dialed Abba’s number and the man answered immediately.

“I’m here, where should I park?”

“At the back” he said. “I’ll bring him over”

“Please can we drive round back?” I asked the taxi man. He grunted and turned towards the alley way, we pulled up in front of a door. Three minutes later, a tall, fairly built man helped Abba into the taxi.

“Thank you so much” I said.

“You’re welcome. Take care of him” he replied gesturing to Abba who was half leaning on me. He closed the door and the taxi man drove off.

“Abba?” I called out tapping his cheek, he groaned scrunching his face.

“Fuck” he whimpered.

“It’s okay, I got you” I said as he pushed his face into my neck. I rubbed his back gently, my neck felt wet and I pulled back to see he was crying.

“I fucked up Najma” he whispered. I looked into his red rimmed eyes filled with pain and I had to look away to stop the tears from falling down my cheeks.

The ride to his house was a quiet one, filled with soft sniffles from Abba. We arrived at Abba’s place and I called the security man to help me take him up to his room. I paid the taxi man and went into the house just as the security man left. I walked into his room and saw he was on his bed. I got him some Tylenol and a glass of water.

“Abba wake up” I whispered tapping his shoulder. He groaned shaking his head.

“Abbaaa” I said shaking him. He opened his eyes and I helped him up, giving him the water and the pill. I placed the glass cup on the side table before helping him out of his shirt; I untied his shoes and removed them before covering him with the blanket.

I sat on the floor, watching over him through the night.

                                *********

I groaned in pain as I raised my head, my neck felt like it was going to fall off. I massaged my neck looking up to see the bed was empty. I frowned wondering where he was. The door opened and I looked over at him.

“Hey” I whispered

“Hey” He whispered back.

“How are you feeling?” I asked.

“Like a truck ran over me” he replied coming over and sitting near me.

“What happened yesterday?”

He sighed holding his head in his hands.

“Habiba” he whispered.

“She’s getting married” he choked out as his shoulders shook.

“I am so sorry to hear that” I whispered hugging him. He hugged me back and I let my tears flow down my cheeks.

“It’s going to be okay”

“No, no it’s not Najma. I fucked up. I had her then I let her go” he whimpered. I hugged him tighter

“We’ll be okay. I promise” I said firmly. I guess we kind of connected, two of us were broken. The love of his life was getting married and Khalifa wanted nothing to do with me. I pulled away, resting my forehead on his.

“I should get going” I whispered.

“Let me drive you home” I shook my head pulling away.

“Just get some rest. I’ll check up on you later” I said. I stood up about to walk out when he grabbed my hand pulling me to him.

“Thanks Najma. I really appreciate it”

“It's nothing.”

                                 *******

I closed the door behind me, making my way up the stairs when I bumped into Khalifa. He stared me down blocking my way. I looked away feeling tiny under his scrutiny.

He brushed past me going down the stairs. I sighed walking to the room I was staying. I peeled the clothes off and had a bath before changing, I got onto the bed and the exhaustion crept up my body. I drifted to sleep.

                                ********

It was evening by the time I woke up; I yawned and made my way out to the kitchen to get water.

I could hear Khalifa arguing as I walked in. His face was scrunched up in anger.

“I don’t care how long it takes but I want that shit taken down” he seethed.

I eyed him as I uncapped the bottle and took a gulp of water; I grabbed a bottle of coke and made my way out of the kitchen leaving him and his troubles.

The doorbell rang and I changed course to the door, I opened it to see Ummaymah. She frowned eying me.

“Where is Khalifa?” she asked rudely.

“Do I look like his keeper?” I retorted. She seemed shocked at my retort. She opened her lips to reply but I turned, heading to the stairs. She wasn’t worth my time.

I stayed in my room all night, only going out to get something to eat. Ummaymah had left since; I remember hearing her scream in frustration then the door slamming.

                           **********

The next day, I got dressed and left the house late in the evening. I wanted to check up on Abba.

“Najma” I turned to face Khalifa. I couldn’t remember the last time he had called my name or even acknowledged me.

“Yes.” I replied turning to face him. He stared at me before he shook his head.

“Never mind” with that he walked away, his hands in his pocket.

I stared at his retreating back, I was tempted to run after him but I sighed and opened the door and exiting the house.

I arrived at Abba’s place and paid the man, nodding at the security guards before walking into the house.

The house was dark and I turned on the lights. He wasn’t in the living room; I frowned checking the game room then the kitchen.

“Abba!!!” I called out but got no reply.
I made my way up the stairs, a sense of dread and foreboding filled me as I neared his room. I pushed back the fear and opened the door.

My phone felt out of my shaking hand.
The scream that escaped my lips felt foreign even to my ears.

                          ------------------
A/N

Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!

What do you guys think happened to Abba?

Let me know in the comments

Vote
Share💖💖

Hugs and kisses 💕💕