20. Law of the Jungle🦋

"Hence, it seems everyone is already here." Dad said cheerfully and lifted the champagne bottle up from the table gently. "We should open this up." He was too eager to open that expensive bottle. "Can we have some glasses here please dear." He requested mom.

"How lovely!" mom exclaimed enthusiastically as she carefully put down all the delicious foods on our big dining table. "But we don't have any champagne glasses."

"It's completely fine, Elle." Ron smiled tenderly. "Wine glasses will do."

"Okay." Mom swiftly turned towards the kitchen. "Let me bring them out."

"I am opening it." Dad attentively unwrapped the glossy pitch black foil cover, un-wounded the aluminium wire, and placed his thumbs under the cork. The champagne was successfully popped and opened. Mom brought out the cheap wine glasses and that pricey champagne safely poured into them. We had to be very careful with it because it was so damn overpriced. We couldn't waste it, right?

"Mmm." Dad moaned contentedly as he took his first sip of that costly Champagne. "Tastes like victory."

Everyone followed after him. I hesitantly sniffed a little in my glass before taking a small sip. The sweet fragrance was a little different from other cheap champagne I tasted before, in a good way.

"For our birthday boy, Matt." Ron raised his glass in a praising way.

"To Matt." We all copied him gleefully.

"Let's get started for dinner." Mom suggested smilingly with a mellow tone.

"Sure." Dad slowly got up from the couch. "Let's go."

We unhurriedly moved to the food loaded dining table. Luckily the dining table was big enough for all of us. We just added some extra wooden chairs. Dad and Ron took seats on the both longitudinal sides of the table, facing each other. Mom graciously sat just beside dad. Brant sat between Mike and me. Ron was on my left side. Rose cheerfully sat beside Ron and was just opposite of me, next was Oli and Eva.

Every element of those magnificent supper, from roasted beef to Black Forest gateau, were dad's favourite. He was the birthday boy after all. Mom cut the beef in some sufficient slices skilfully and served them to everyone. I also got up to help mom to serve.

I took the tongs and placed some Yorkshire pudding at everyone's plate. Brant enthusiastically poured some gravy into my pudding after pouring on his and smiled at me. I blushed shyly and murmured him a 'thank you' with a low voice. Ron cleared his throat solemnly just beside me. I abruptly turned to him and smiled gaily.

"Do you need anything?"

"The gravy please." He smiled a little. I took the gravy boat and carefully poured some rich brown gravy into his pudding.

"Anything else." I asked glowingly. Ron bit his lower lip lightly.

"No." He smiled at me gently. "Thank you."

"Mmmm, delicious," Rose moaned instantly after taking a small bite of her gravy loaded pudding and looking at my mom with satisfaction. "It tastes really wonderful."

"Yes," Ron said while smiling warmly to my mom. "lovely flavour."

"Thank you, dear." Mom smiled and looked at dad lovingly. "I just wanted to make today special." And placed her hand on dad's.

Dad leaned a little towards mom and kissed her glowing cheek affectionately. He softly whispered 'thank you' to mom. I teasingly cleared my throat to bring those two love birds back to us from their own world. Dad smiled awkwardly and pretended to concentrate on his food.