Chapter 27 - Gone Again

Present Day

Present Day

Bucky's POV

I'm in deep shit now. As much as I thought that there could be a chance of getting caught by officials, it was never my intention, which isn't even the worst part in this situation.

It's Y/n.

I made a promise to myself that I'd protect her, that I'd never leave her side, no matter the circumstances. She was my safe place, the only thing in my fucked up life that kept me going every day. If I hadn't gotten carried away with the officers, there's a chance she could be locked up here with me, where at least I'd know she was safe.

That day, I remembered it a few hours ago when I realized she was missing. The train back in the Austrian Alps, where we were ordered to take down Zola. I was pissed that Steve let Y/n join the war, but I eventually understood. God, she was so breathtaking, even in her uniform, and I was so damn proud of her. I knew right then, I was madly in love with Y/n Y/l/n.

I should've known that she'd try and save me. I was a goner as soon as that explosion was set off anyways, but she didn't think twice. Maybe if I had let go instead of holding on, I could've fallen alone, and she could've lived the wonderful life she deserved.

When the bar eventually snapped, I remember feeling the world around me blur, and everything shifting to slow motion. There she was, something of a beautiful tragedy. Her arms desperately reaching out, longing to embrace me, even as we plummeted to our supposed deaths. My heart shattered, the sight is engraved in my thoughts. The bright and loving Y/n. The one I'd go to when my date stood me up. The one who would care for me when I was sick, even if she got my cold the day after. The one who never failed to put a smile on my face and comfort me. I wanted nothing more than to hold her one last time, safely in my arms. Then there was poor Steve, crying both of our names from the train, the guilt already tearing him apart.

Eventually I could feel her warm, tender hands grab ahold my shoulders. She pulled me flush against her, whispering something in my ear. I must've blacked out after that, from shock or from hitting the ground.

Damn it. I screwed up, once again.

I looked beyond this glass case into the hollow, isolated room in the other side.

One, two cameras. One on each side. Bright lights pointing directly at me. Nothing new to have dozens of people watching you like a bug under a microscope.

Where the hell could she be? I prayed there was a chance these guys got their hands on her instead of someone like HYDRA, or...

No...

The Vienna attack. The person behind it, they want something from us.

Or they want us.

Something isn't right. There's someone out for us. Did they want us dead?

As much as I hated HYDRA, at least those assholes let me move. I was strapped down head to toe in this glass case, and from the looks of it, they weren't letting me out any time soon. I figure they were planning to have someone, "negotiate" with me, judging by the small table and chair a few feet away. But there's no point in running, maybe I do deserve this. For everything I've done.