Chapter 29 - Coming For You

1943

"I see you watching him Peg."

Peggy turned to see a smirk playing on Y/n's  lips. She stepped back from the big, red curtain."I can't be the only one that thinks this whole facade they're putting on is ridiculous. Steve knows he's capable of more than punching a phony Hitler every week."

"I couldn't agree more." Y/n sighed. "All he wanted to do was make a difference for this country. To fight along side the other men and be a hero. This, this is not what Steve is here for."

"Just look at him." Peggy scoffed. "He's absolutely miserable."

Y/n nodded as she listened, her mind trailing to her other best friend, who she hadn't heard from in weeks. Bucky had been sending her letters every so often, which was enough to give her hope that she would soon see him again.

But not a thing from him this week.

"Y/n?" Peggy waved a hand in front of her, noticing her thoughts had drifted elsewhere.

"Oh... sorry Peg. I'm just gonna check the mailbox, I'll be right back."

Peggy nodded and smiled, turning her attention back to Steve as he struggled to amuse a crowd of soldiers.

Y/n hurried out from the tent and took note of the approaching grey clouds. She stopped at the tent, where letters for the soldiers came in every week, mostly from family or close friends.

"Sir." She saluted.

The man gave her a nod and a small "afternoon ma'am."

"Are there any letters labeled Y/l/n or Rogers by chance?"

He took a moment to skim through the small handful of letters, only to shake his head. "I'm afraid not Miss, my apologies."

She nodded warily, sensing that something was off. Bucky never took this long to send a letter, even if he was exerting all his time in the field. He always managed to send something, even just a small one-sentence note that assured Y/n and Steve that he was alright.

His past few letters had left a tinge of uncertainty for Y/n. He had described the war to be as bad as it seemed; grueling, exhausting, enough to cause many men to regret enlisting in the first place, even if they would never once admit such a thing.

If only she could be right there, fighting alongside him.

Y/n eventually made her way back to Peggy, who continued watching Steve from backstage. This time, she was gripping the curtain and balling part of it in her fist. Y/n heard a series of insults and yelling and hurried up next to her. "Peg what the hell is going on?"

"See for yourself."

Y/n peered out the opening to see Steve get food and dirt thrown at him by the soldiers, demanding he get off the stage.

"I'll be right back." Peggy huffed, leaving Y/n to approach an embarrassed Steve who had been booed off stage. She swerved past the dancers who were hurrying back to perform their song again, and pulled him aside.

"Hey, are you alright?" Y/n questioned softly.

"They hated me, and they have every right to." He said lowly.