Chapter 31 - I'm Here

1943

Y/n let out a small yelp when she felt her body come in contact with the cold ground. She had her eyes squeezed shut on the way down, causing the sudden change in atmosphere to be a little dazing.

"Y/n, come on we gotta go." Steve shook her gently.

She looked up to see that they were amidst trees and dense forest, taking Steve's offering hand to stand up.

She brushed herself off and gave him a readying nod, allowing him to take the lead.

They slowly pattered through the trees and shrubs until they came across a building heavily guarded by HYDRA guardsmen.

Y/n's head snapped to the left, pulling Steve down to a crouch by his sleeve. He looked past her shoulder and watched as a series of German force vehicles emerged from the fog and towards the facility.

"Ready?" Steve turned to her as soon as the vehicles passed.

"As I'll ever be." She smirked, following him out of the forest.

He raced after one of the vehicles and raised his hand for Y/n to wait. He then launched himself into the back of the vehicle, concern etching onto Y/n's features.

"Steve! What are you-"

Suddenly, the flimsily placed tarp that covered the back of the truck ruffled from the commotion occurring on the inside. Two German soldiers flew out from the back, before Steve stuck a thumbs up out from the tarp for Y/n to get in.

She hastily climbed inside and shot Steve a baffled grin. "If anything's gonna get us killed tonight, it's you."

"We're doing fine so far." He laughed quietly. "Wait for my signal."

Y/n felt the dirt path beneath them turn to jagged gravel, signifying that they'd made it passed the gates to the facility.

Once the truck came to a rolling stop, Steve motioned for her to get behind the cheap, metal shield that Y/n was sure would serve no purpose throughout this rescue.

Someone from the outside curiously lifted the tarp, being met with Steve's shield. Steve quickly jabbed him with the shield, sending him flying backwards, and stepped out from the vehicle with Y/n following closely behind.

They weaved through a couple of HYDRA tanks, the eerie octopus emblem causing a wave of nausea to wash over Y/n. She clenched her jaw at the thought of Bucky held captive somewhere in the depths of the facility.

Steve scanned the layout ahead and noticed a lone tank placed conveniently by the large wall that separated them from the building. He tugged Y/n's hand, alerting her to stay close as they quickly sprinted towards the tank.

"Jeez slow down." Y/n muttered under her shaky breath. There was still some getting used to of Steve's new abilities. He leapt on top of the tank with ease, holding out his hand for Y/n. The tank was just high enough for them to easily reach the top of the wall, leading them straight into the building.

Y/n felt her mind go numb as they entered the building, letting Steve lead them both through the hallways. Not only Bucky, but hundreds of other 107th soldiers were being held captive in this appalling place.

Steve stopped in front of a metal door at the end of a large corridor, and peered into the tiny window in the middle.

Y/n took note of the man approaching from the other side and clung her body to the wall beside her, staying out of sight. Steve waited for him to open the door before jamming the man's head between the door and the frame, knocking him out temporarily.