Chapter 26 - Taller...

1943

"Y/n, he'll be fine. Have faith that Doctor Erskine and Stark know exactly what they're doing." Peggy said from behind Y/n, sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Yeah... I know Peg." Y/n sighed, pacing around the small room that her and Peggy shared at the base. "God I just... I just want to make sure Steve knows what he's doing."

Y/n turned to Peggy and was thrown that same look she'd been giving her all week. She stood up and placed her hands on Y/n's shoulders. "You Darling, need to focus on getting ready. I'm sure Steve will want you by his side through the whole thing."

Y/n chuckled softly and nodded. "You're right. Gosh I guess it's sorta exciting, getting to witness Howard Stark make history."

Peggy hummed in agreement as she fixed her lipstick with a small pocket mirror. "He's quite brilliant."

Peggy gestured Y/n outside. "Let's go. We're off to Brooklyn today."

"I'll be out in a sec." Y/n nodded. She turned to the small box sitting idle on the nightstand. She opened it delicately and traced her finger gently on the bracelet.

For my best girl

She let out a shaky breath before clipping it on her wrist, tucking it under her sleeve. "We miss you Buck."

The more she stared at the bracelet, the more she felt more at ease for today's event.

"Y/n let's go!" Peggy called once again from outside.

"Yeah, yeah I'm coming!" Y/n said with a chuckle.

Later

"I know this neighborhood." Steve told Peggy, peering out the window as they drove. He pointed "I got beat up in that alley."

"Steve." Y/n frowned.

"And that parking lot."

Peggy stayed silent, giving Y/n a look.

"And behind that diner."

Peggy spoke before Y/n could scold him for his negativity. "Did you have something against running away?"

He shook his head. "You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back. They can't say no forever, right?"

Peggy chuckled softly. "I know a little of what that's like, to have every door shut in your face."

Y/n raised her eyebrows in curiosity. Peggy was an extraordinary woman, and it was easy to forget that she most likely had to undergo many steps to be where she was now.

Steve paused for a second. "I guess I just don't know why you'd want to join the Army, if you were a beautiful dame. Or a... a woman."

Peggy turned and have him a look as he rambled on.

"No one asked me that when I joined the army." Y/n muttered quietly to herself.

"An agent. Not a dame. You are beautiful, but..."

Y/n buried her face in her hands. "S-Steve just stop."