Chapter 38 - Everything I Want

Y/n didn't know just where to look first. Suddenly behind her, she heard a woman scream "Dance with me instead Captain America!"

But when she finally looked in front of her, Bucky was standing before the asshole Holden, who stood on the side dumbfounded. He was wearing a charcoal-grey suit that he must've borrowed from someone else, as the sleeves were too short.

"Hey! That's my girl, and I was dancing with her!" He said, waving his finger in Bucky's face.

"Listen here you piece of shit." Y/n poked Holden harshly in the chest. "I belong to no one. Got that? And you better hope I never see you in the field one day. After all, nobody will believe you if you claim a 'woman like me' from the same side gave you a black eye. How's that sound?"

Bucky folded his arms and grinned proudly. "I think she made her self pretty clear. Go on now."

Holden simply sneered and stormed off in an angry trail, likely on a mission to bother another poor girl.

Bucky held his hand out to Y/n. "If you aren't too tired."

Y/n took his hand with no hesitation, having missed his gentle touch. "It would be my pleasure."

Bucky gingerly placed one hand on the small of her back, the other keeping a hold on her hand. He slowly glided with the music, taking her through each step.

"When you said you were going out, I wish I'd known you were going dancing." He said, just loud enough for her to hear him over the commotion.

"Trust me, I had no idea where she was taking me until we first got here." Y/n chuckled, gasping softly when Bucky briefly lifted her off her feet, then back down again. "I've never danced with anyone before."

"You haven't?" Bucky's smiled instantly dropped. She shook her head, shrugging.

"Darlin', I wish you'd told me that sooner." Bucky twirled her around, then returned both his hands to her waist. She leaned forward and rested her arms on his shoulders.

"What are you and Steve doing here anyway?" She questioned, glancing behind her to see crowd had now dispersed, as Steve was nowhere to be seen.

"Said he needed a break from war planning." Bucky told her. "I think him and Carter got into some argument. Dugan told us you'd be here."

The suit made sense now, and the fact that he put in the effort to dress up just for tonight had Y/n in a blushing mess.

"I talked to her. I think they'll be alright." Y/n frowned slightly when she saw Steve wander around aimlessly, dodging the incoming fans from every direction while thanking them quickly at the same time. Peggy likely left as soon as she saw Steve enter the building.

Y/n unwittingly rested her head on Bucky's chest as the effects of the whiskey submerged her into bliss. Bucky's face flushed a rosy red and he could only pray she couldn't hear his heart pounding.

Besides the garden wall, when stars are bright
You are in my arms
The nightingale
Tells his fairytale
Of paradise, where roses grew
Though I dream in vain
In my heart it always will remain
My stardust melody
The memory of love's refrain

"I'm glad you came." Y/n murmured, pressed against him. Their dancing had calmed into slow sways.

"You are? I didn't wanna interrupt your night."