Chapter 37 - Dance the Night Away

1943

1943

Margaret "Peggy" Carter never got flustered. Ever.

Soldiers would catcall her, disrespect her name and stomp all over her dignity routinely. She would simply stroll right past them with her head held high, rightfully aware of her value and place.

Today had simply not been one of those days.

"We're going out." Y/n let out a small gasp when Peggy had harshly pulled her aside as she was leaving the debriefing led by Colonel Phillips. "Get your heels on, Y/n."

"But Peg." Y/n whined, drawing out the 'g'. "I still haven't got the chance to see Stark's vibranium shield. I heard it's stronger than any other metal and I wanna see it for myself."

"There'll be plenty of time to gaze upon Stark's inventions, Y/n. No doubt he'll be showing it off all week to everybody." Peggy grumbled, pulling Y/n through the halls towards exit of the base.

"Okay, fine." Y/n stopped walking. Peggy turned to face her at the sudden restraint of her hand. "I should go tell Steve. Just in case I miss anything about the next mission."

If Y/n had taken her eyes off of Peggy a split second later, she wouldn't have caught the sudden bitterness flash on Peggy's expression.

Y/n slowly let go of Peggy's hand. "Peg... what did he do."

"What?"

"Steve is family, Peg." Y/n smirked and folded her arms. "I don't mind knocking some sense into him if he hurt you."

Peggy huffed to herself and shook her head. "It doesn't matter, Y/n. I just need a night for just us women, please?"

"Of course! Of course." Y/n shook her head and smiled, grabbing Peggy's hand reassuringly before letting go. "I'll be right with you. Jus' need to let Stark know, at least."

Peggy nodded and smiled, but it faded as soon as Y/n turned around.

Y/n weaved through the soldiers and off duty nurses of the unit, nodding 'hello' to the Howling Commandos through the warmly lit building. Everyone was discussing what plans Philips was plotting for their next move in war, eager to take action with Steve now in the lead.

"Y/n?"

She couldn't resist the bright smile that pulled on the corners of her mouth at the sound of his delicate voice. He had his uniform neatly folded and tucked under his arm. Instead he had on his training pants and an army green Henley she remembered getting him for Christmas a few years ago. His dog tags hung around his collar and clinked when he turned to face her.