Chapter 23 - Here We Are

Brooklyn 1943

It had only been a matter of hours, yet Y/n's heart was still aching, throbbing. The mere thought of her best friend going off to war was agonizing. She had woken up, still draped over Bucky's couch, to his sister shaking her gently. She told Y/n that Bucky had left for England over an hour ago, and had left her a gift.

After hesitating to open it, she finally built up the motivation and unwrapped the paper. She lifted up the small note that was placed on top.

𝙳𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚈/𝚗,

𝙱𝚢 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜, 𝙸'𝚕𝚕 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚕𝚎𝚏𝚝 𝙱𝚛𝚘𝚘𝚔𝚕𝚢𝚗 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝙴𝚗𝚐𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚍. 𝙸 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝚝𝚘 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚕𝚢 𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞, 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝙸 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚢𝚘𝚞'𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚋𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚢 𝚏𝚞𝚛𝚒𝚘𝚞𝚜 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚖𝚎 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐. 𝙸 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚝𝚘 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚛𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑, 𝙸'𝚕𝚕 𝚋𝚎 𝚋𝚊𝚌𝚔 𝚜𝚘𝚘𝚗. 𝙸 𝚊𝚕𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚢 𝚖𝚒𝚜𝚜 𝚢𝚘𝚞, 𝙸'𝚕𝚕 𝚜𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚍𝚊𝚢 𝚒𝚏 𝙸 𝚌𝚊𝚗. 𝙼𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚜𝚞𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚂𝚝𝚎𝚟𝚎 𝚝𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚐𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚌𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑 𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛, 𝚍𝚎𝚊𝚕? 𝙰𝚗𝚍 𝚍𝚎𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚒𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚢 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚝𝚘𝚘 𝚖𝚞𝚌𝚑 𝚏𝚞𝚗 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚖𝚎.

𝚂𝚎𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚜𝚘𝚘𝚗, 𝙱𝚞𝚌𝚔𝚢.

Underneath the note was a small, gold bracelet engraved with 'For my best girl'.

Now she was back in her apartment. Her heart flushed with worry as she held the bracelet close to her chest.

If only he had woken her up before he left, but when she thought about it, it made sense. He couldn't bear to let go of Y/n and Steve just like that. He most likely thought that sparing the tearful goodbyes would be easier on the three of them.

All of a sudden she heard a knock on the door. She hastily wiped her tears and went to open it.

"Oh, hey Steve." She gave him a small smile.

"Y/n..."

"Don't worry I'm fine. Do ya want some coffee?" She opened the door wider and gestured for him to come in.

"Actually I'm alright. We gotta head out for our training soon. Doctor Erskine will be waiting for us." He said in a low tone.

Y/n turned around to face him. "What about you Steve. Are you doing okay?"

"I'm fine Y/n, stop worrying so much." He grinned lightly. "Bucky knows what he's doing, and we gotta catch up to him."