Chapter 18: Trial by Fire

Ari was at a terrible loss. He scooted around the last bit of bread and eyed the honey as if it would help conjure a sweet answer. He should have known. Demons never gave their true names freely.

"If you are speaking of Nis... I happened to meet him, yes. Nothing more than that," Ari mumbled. He scooped a spoonful of honey and spread it onto the rest of the bread, devouring it. 

"Nothing more than that?"

"And he had answers to my questions."

Sascha combed through his salt and pepper speckled beard not giving away any semblance of disbelief or satisfaction with his answer. "I am asking you this because his presence is no longer felt here and you smell of him—of an old demon. Perhaps, you were able to answer some of his questions."

Ari very well knew what Nis wanted from him and now he had it. Of course, he would not linger here for much longer. Kaval would find his way back to him and Nis did not want that or at least not yet. As vile as what he did was, Ari knew he had the deepest affections for Kaval even if they were not shown properly. None of them seemed to know how to express their love well. Not even Auovin. Perhaps, he did not as well. Surely, he did not or he would not be in this situation. 

"None of this seems very fair to you, does it?" Sascha asked. 

Ari looked up at him trying to keep his eyes from swarming with water. He refused to. A pretty face could distract him from heeding his intuition and self-preservation Rein had sharpened through the years. Just how far had he strayed from their teachings to chase a deceitful thing called love? 

Kaval was right those many, many nights ago. The kind of love he was pining for did nothing but cripple him. In some instances, he thought that it did not exist. He eyed the bit of ale left in his cup. If only he listened and seen through what was right in front of him instead of listening to the things that supported what he wanted to believe or see. 

"It does not matter whether it is fair or not," Ari spat. He clasped the tin cup tight enough to crumple it and threw it aside. 

"Oh, what is this? Anger?"

"I do not enjoy being mocked." 

"Then let us not mince words any longer." Sascha said as he rose from his chair, "Come, take off your shirt and let me inspect those runes littered there. There is a story there."

Ari dipped a finger into the honey jar and stirred it, unimpressed with his knowledge or reveal thereof. "What good would a story do for me now? I do not care for my father any longer. I do not wish to know of my parents," Ari hissed, wanting to cry instead.  

"Parents? Ah... is that what they told you?" Sascha chuckled. "'Spose it does, but more importantly it tells of your strength given by only knowing your true name." 

Ari stopped what he was doing and gave his full attention to the burly man now hovering over him. 

"Rein and Freir may have taught you many things. The one they truly failed you in was learning to think for yourself. I 'spose they cannot teach you something they do not do themselves." 

"What do you want from me?"

"It is not so much of want, but more so of what we can do for each other. I want Sin's head resting on a pike and you want your travel companion back, yes?"

Ari hopped out of his seat at the thought of it. Sascha stood little chance against a demon like Nis; however the thought of getting Kaval back was a temptation too sweet to resist. A big part of him thought he deserved this and did not want to be reunited with Kaval as he was right now.