6|His first failure

Growing up, it's been drilled to Gakushū's head that he must be perfect. That if he wasn't, then he would be unwanted, unloved, and abandoned. There was no place for imperfection in the house of Asano, mistakes weren't accepted there.

He learned that when he was six.

There was a swimming competition at his elementary, and Gakushū had signed up. He almost won, but during the finale lap his ankle cramped and he came in second place.

It didn't matter for his mother though, she was cheering for him as he got on the stage and was given his second place medal. Gakushū had smiled at her, clutching the medal in hand, proud of his accomplishment.

When his father came, and saw the medal in his hand, his face turned blank. Gakushū had ran up to the man to show him his medal, hoping to be praised. Instead he received a cold look from Gakuho, and was told to wait in the car.

The son obeyed, and went to the locker room to get dressed first before going to their car.

When he got out, he saw his mother and father talking--quietly arguing-- he was too far away to hear, but Masami seemed to be pleading to Gakuho about something. In the end she just nodded, and looked over at him. She smiled affectionately at her son.

During the car ride, Gakushū kept staring at his second place medal. He knew his father was disappointed, but he promised himself that he'll win first place next time.

Suddenly, the car stopped. Gakushū looked up from his knees. "Dad?" Gakuho got out of the car, and went to open the door for Gakushū. "Get out" he ordered.

Gakuho unbuckled his seatbelt and hopped out. He looked around, they were surrounded with corn fields, stretching as far as he could see. "Where are we?" He timidly asked, looking up at his father.

"You're walking home, there's no place for losers in this car" Gakuho coldly told him.

The little boy panicked. "W-walking?" He repeated. He looked around, trying to find something that would give him a clue where he was. "But I don't know where we are"

"If you're as smart as you claim to be you'll be able to find your way back easily" Gakuho went to open the door to his car, but Gakushū suddenly hugged his leg.

"Please don't leave me here! I'll do better next time I promise! I promise I'll do better just please don't leave me! He sobbed.

He felt a sharp pain, and he doubled over, tears blurring his vision as he clutched his aching stomach. His father had kicked him away.

When he looked up at his father, the man was staring at him with disgust. "At least have the dignity to admit your defeat Gakushū" he spat, before getting inside the car and slamming the door shut, starting the engine.

"Papa!" He cried, reaching out his short hand.

Then the car sped away, leaving him alone. Gakushū watched as the vehicle became a dot in the distance, until it was eventually gone.

The little boy just stood there alone, with tearful eyes and his second place medal around his neck.