Chapter 18: Time to Try (CHRISTMAS SPECIAL PT.1)

Alright y'all! This is part one of the Christmas Special I am doing! I don't know how many parts there will be, but I thought I'd start this special with some good news! This chapter is going to start Lyon's path of acceptance into his new life. Although he still has a long ways to go in this book about all of that, this chapter will definitely start him on that path. Please enjoy!

- Mya Kennedy Morris

Lyon

I blink my eyes open, numb and tired. Not from the sleep I just had...no, that was actually some good rest. 

No. I am tired and exhausted of this fear that keeps clutching me. 

I know I may never get rid of it, but I also know I can deal with it. Perhaps I should try to direct my fear more towards those who have and will hurt me, instead of towards everyone...even if I am on an alien planet as a pet. 

These aliens have treated me better than anyone on Earth has, and I've been just too scared to understand it. I may not like the fact that I'm a pet...but perhaps I can learn to...I whimper at the thought. 

How can I just accept all this? The vet visits, the leash and harness and collar, the carrier and crate, the pet treatment?

I hunker down in the nest, having an internal battle of thoughts. I'm sixteen...only two more years, and I would have ditched those damn people the world called my parents...

I am pulled out of my thoughts when I notice a something walking in the room. I also realize my kennel is the only cage in here...solitarily. 

I also figure out that I can still only see in black and gray. Whatever these somethings did yesterday messed me up. 

Another reason why not to accept this so easily. 

I dig deeper under the nest, ignoring the somewhat warm chuckles coming from the something. It clicks and gurgles before the sound of the kennel door opening echoes throughout the room. 

Even though I am still terrified, I notice that my heart is not beating as wildly as before. Maybe it's the lack of colors and I'm not threatened by the white monsters (although I could very well be...I just can't see it), or if I just want to stop fearing everything. Or maybe because they haven't really hurt me...?

I huff in frustration, trying to shut down my thoughts so I can pay attention to the something in my kennel. 

Telliu

I chuckle again as I hear a frustrated huff from the little human. "What is going on in that mind of yours, hmm?" I ask as I crouch down before the scrambled nest. 

It shakes a bit, and I smile. 

"I heard you're just a cutie who's been through some stuff. Our kind can be kinda rough sometimes when we need to. You've been rice-milk fed too, which must have taken a toll on you. That process is not fun." I muse, giving him some time to adjust to my presence.