Chapter 24: We're Going To Get You To Live

Opal

I wake up unhappily. I never want to wake up again. This world only knows how to bring pain, and I'm done letting it play around with me time and time again. 

I thought for sure destroying my back would do the trick. 

Anything has got to be better than this life. 

I whimper at the steady growth of pain along my back, frustrated to feel it whole once more. I test my limits, finding myself strapped down to a cool table, with no room whatsoever to move even a single inch. 

Tears of frustration drips down my cheeks as my claws scrapes the table for any type of leverage. But the table is smooth and unrelenting. 

I look around the area they've had me in for who know how long, even more frustrated to find a giant sitting in the corner, watching me strictly. 

I try to yank my body away from the cords and wires in it, to no avail. 

The giant sighs and stands, and my heart stutters. Leave me alone. Please, don't. I beg in my mind as he walks up slowly. 

For a second, he looks non threateningly. Cautious and careful not to startle me. But then I remember that these people are all full of lies. Lies and deceit and pain. He only wants me alive for my body...I growl lowly as he gets closer, but he isn't dissuaded. 

His own clawed hands gently touch my back, and it flares up in pain. I whimper, dropping my head and breathing hard. 

"Easy boy. It looks like your medicine wore off. Let's get you some more, hmm?" He mutters as he fiddles with a separate tray. 

I try to inch away, but his hands steadies me and the pain intensifies. "Shhh." He murmurs, his voice velvety and soft. 

I breathe raggedly, afraid of the giant. Of all giants, no matter their differences among each other. They all are horrible. They only take and take and take, and if they give, it is pain and despair. 

They've taken the few friends I've made in the small cramped cages, never to be seen again. I'm not dumb. I know what this place is. I know what happened to my friends, the only things I called even close to family. 

I know my due date is close...I am actually surprised it hasn't come yet. I may not be in a cramped cage anymore...but they are deceiving me. For what purpose, I don't know. But I'll never trust these giants again. 

After the giant fiddles a bit with some stuff, putting a sharp thing in the end of a tube and releasing some liquid, he steps back and rubs my head. 

I growl, trying to thrash against the straps, but they keep me immobile. 

And then the pain...the horrible pain starts to inch away, leaving my body pleasantly numb. Warmth pools into my body, and a lightness seeps over me.