Chapter 26

"We need to talk."

'OMG! It's just 5 o'clock in the morning'

She read that text with one eye open. It was on a Friday and was already thinking of skipping her classes.

'Not today, Satan.'

She jumped out of bed, went for her morning jog, showered, and went to school. She found Azana on the elevator, "You're attending an 8 o'clock?", she asked a bit shocked, "Hey Zanny", she hugged her and kissed the top of her head to annoy her. She pushed her, "We don't see you no more, crazy that I'm seeing these braids after a week while I was the one pushing you to do your hair." They were walking together to campus. "If you came to my room, you would've seen them." "I went to your room probably 4/5 times before giving up", Peace saw the hurt on her face, "I know I am sorry, I just got busy and forgot to show you guys" "It's not only about the braids you know that.", but she also said as they were parting ways on campus.

Peace felt guilty for neglecting her friends like that, she could tell how desperately Azana needed to have a conversation with her. They had always spoken about everything, and most of those things would stay between them, but she avoided her because she was not ready to tell her about her job. She decided she would take her out on the following day so they could talk, and properly apologize.

"You deserve a bottle of wine for showing up today", Rea dramatically said to Peace when she approaches her seat. "And you going to gift it to me" "Of course, I am going to get you one," Peace thought she was joking, "because Ndu and I are going on a weekend away." She shyly said Peace faced her, "I bet you spent days practicing how you were going to tell me that", they both busted into laughter because it was true. "Look sweetheart, I am happy that you're happy. I want you to enjoy every moment of it and don't you ever worry about me. I am just ready to strangle that boy if he hurt you again. Where are y'all going?" Rea loosened up, "Cape Town!", she exclaimed excitedly, "OH, that's where you are getting my wine. Oh, don't I feel special right now?", she said dramatically placing her hand on her chest.

Their classes ended early, Rea had to attend some career webinar after lunch and Peace could not wait to get to her room and throw her body on the bed. On her way out of the campus she decided to text her friend's group "Peace: What's up Bitches, I want to host a games night somewhere other than our building. Let me know when y'all are free and if it's okay with us alone or if I should invite other people to make it more fun?", she threw her phone on the bed and took off her clothes.

She laid on her stomach and read the replies, "Ntando: I'm in, whatever you decide, I'm in.

Omu: I think it will be more fun with other people.

Mandy: Next week would work for me and bring more people.

Zana: Idk guys, she might switch up on us, Peace is not reliable these days."

'Here we go again.'

She suddenly did not want to nap instead she decided to visit Azana. "Do you have a minute?", she asked popping her head on the door. "I am busy", she was angry or sad? "Come on Azana let's talk", she said going to sit on her bed while Azana was on the chair. "Okay since you care all of the sudden. I am angry you just abandoned me when you know pretty well how hard it is for me to open up to someone else. A lot is going on in my life right now and I needed a friend right beside me. I am not asking for a lot you know that even 10 minutes is enough for our conversations. I kept begging you to talk to me, but you pushed me away," her tears fall off, "I need you right now and you are not making my situation any better. I am angry at you". 

Peace was washed off with guilt, Azana was right she had abandoned what they had for her selfish reasons. "I am deeply sorry; I was not aware of the damage I have caused. I thought we were going to fix this just over the dinner, but I realize how much pain I've caused you. From now on I promise to be always present for you or open up a little." "I know you have a busy schedule hence I'm not asking for much, just a little time." They hugged for a moment then Peace wiped the tears off Azana's face. "I still want the dinner though", she said afterwards, "OH my goodness I was hoping you did not hear that." They laughed, "So tell me about this games night, are boys going to be there?" "Why do you care about boys? You're in a relationship as serious as a heart attack" "It was just a question." They continued talking about a lot of stuff more like catching up until Peace had to prepare for work. "I'm going to love and leave you", she said kissing her cheeks, "I will text you about the dinner, is 3 pm okay with you" "Any time of any day I am always down for free stuff.", she sang that one out.

~~~

Ring! Ring!

"Hello?", she answered her phone while heading to her room at work, "Peace, how are you?" Her heart skipped a beat when she heard Tazz's voice, all the memories of what happened the last time he had invited her flooded her mind and she felt guilty. "I'm doing all right, how about you?", she asked unlocking the room and she was glad Dan was not around. "Good too, I'm sorry I passed out that day.", he was embarrassed, "No problem, we were all drunk that day and you saved lives by not driving while drunk." "You're only trying to make me feel better", she laughed, "It's true though". They were silent for a moment, at that time Peace picked up some files from her dresser, "Can I take you out for dinner?", it was silent again. Peace realized that he was serious about her, and she did not want to bring him to her mess. "Yeah, sure. I would love that.", she thought maybe this was her shot at dating again. "Okay my lady, please run through your schedule and let me know of the day you will be free.", she smiled he was sweet to her, "Yes Sir."

After three awful sessions she had, she went to her Boss's office before knocking off. She knocked twice and opened the door, "I told you multiple times to wait for an answer before entering my office", Antonio barked. "I'm sorry Sir I thought I heard you answer", she always did that, playing a sweet innocent when their Boss was not in a mood. "Whatever let's cut this short. Here, sign the papers I will transfer your money along with the cut you made today." "All right, as long as it's in the contract, otherwise I don't sign until I receive it.", she said browsing through the contract with a pen in her hand. He stared at her for some time, "You are brave", she raised her eyes and found him staring, "and it's going to get you killed someday. I do not need to negotiate anything with you, if I wanted you to keep quiet, I would have done it without paying you. This is the last time you receive anything from me."' She felt the threat but kept her face emotionless, she signed the papers and headed to the door midway she remembered something. "Can I have Saturday off, it's my mama's birthday she really wanted me to come", she lied and hoped she will not be caught, "Unfortunately you can't, you already have bookings" "Please Antonio", she begged, "I said No!", he emphasized.

'You will have to cancel because this girl will not be here on Saturday.'