Chapter 29

"I am sorry Boss, my phone broke on Friday I could not communicate with you.", Peace came up with the lamest excuse for her absence on Saturday. "You think I'm a fool, right? You be working double shifts this weekend and I will deduct 10% of what you make. I am done here, leave my office", she left without trying any further to convince him, he was angry, and Peace had done wrong.

On her way out she bumped into Ruby coming into the office, she had not seen her ever since the event, "Hi Ruby", she looked her from head to toe, it was like she was shocked to see that she still worked here, "Sauce, I see you're doing well." "Yeah, again I appreciate what you had done for me the other day.", with one of her hands on the doorknob, "Don't sweat it", she smiled and entered the office. Peace continued walking towards Dan who was already waiting for her with the files, "You are one brave girl", he said once she reached him. "I asked for Saturday off he refused I was not about to walk to the angry lion's den on Sunday, so I decided I was going to convince him this week. How are you?", she asked as they walked side by side, "Look who cares? I'm fine a little tired but fine", she rolled her eyes, "I do not care I just want to make sure you are fit for work". They went on bickering about minor stuff until it was time for her shift. Daniel briefed her about the client and that he paid for two sessions, so she only had one client for the day.

She took one deep breath before entering the private room with her mask on, her heels clicked against the tiled floor she knew this was going to be one of her longest nights at work. The setup was different, there was a mini round table and a chair for the man and a chair at the end of her little stage. Daniel did not mention anything about chairs, so she decided she was not going to use them unless she was instructed to do so. She wore a sexy black lacey costume with red lining, she embodied it and she felt confident in it. Once she had reached the pole, she waited for music, but no sound came up, she waited for another few minutes while the guy intensively looked at her. She walked off the stage towards the door, "Where are you going?", she got startled by his voice but did not show, "To request some music for us", she hated when she had to speak to these people. "I have the remote control here," he said waving it in the air, "I was still analyzing you before I could see some action, I like imagining things." Peace was confused about this guy's intentions, she walked back to the pole, "What do you want me to do in the meantime?", she asked.

A waiter came from the door with a bottle of champagne and two glasses, Peace got even more confused as he poured for them and left. She still wanted to look like she was confident hence she refrained from asking many questions and waited for him to talk, "Here", he said offering the glass, "Let's celebrate, baby". Peace walked over to the table and received the glass and they cheered. He grabbed the chair for her, and they sat across each other under the light bulb. "What did we win?", she asked taking a sip from her glass, "Divorce!" "Oh, you seem happy I bet you could not wait for it", Peace was trying so hard to make sensible comments even though she knew nothing about marriage let alone divorce. "I feel free, I feel like I am new again", happiness was written all over his face and Peace felt comfortable with him.

After only 30 minutes of chatting and drinking Peace had learned a lot about this young man and she even took her musk off. She knew he was 30 years old with two young kids, his ex-wife threatened to take their kids away from him should he divorce her hence that is why when he was able to divorce her and still be part of his kids' lives made him so happy. They finished the bottle of champagne with Peace dancing a few times and him admiring her skills. They had 30 minutes before ending the session, Peace was dancing seductively smiling at the man, this was part of her job. He admired her for some time, "I want to play one more song tonight, I'd love your best performance on this one", he said his eyes small because of the alcohol. He played slow soft music; Peace took some time to listen to it before diving in and following the rhythm of the music. Ten minutes in the pole with the sound on repeat, the man walked around her little stage admiring her, she liked this.

She stopped 2 minutes before the end of the shift, "You are beautiful", he said looking into her eyes, and she blushed, "Thank you". "No, I should be thanking you for making my night so amazing. I am Andile", he stretched out his hand, now Peace did not know what to do the guy broke the rule by introducing himself by his first name and he was expecting her to do the same. "Time's up Sauce, come on", Daniel rescued her as always.

"Do you think it could annoy Antonio to know I enjoyed my session?", she asked her smile reaching her ears, "You like trouble little miss, just enjoy this without making your boss give you misery afterwards." "Right", her excitement dropping a little.

'I just want to see the look on his face.'

While she was in her changing room, she kept smiling at how amazing her client was until she got a notification on her phone. "Akwande: Can I please fetch you from work? I need to talk to you one last time."

'It never ends'

She thought for a while before sending a text, "Peace: Sure", she believed in dealing with things in person, texts were too incriminating. As she was leaving the building, she made her way to the Boss's office when Daniel noticed this, he shook his head, but he was too far to reach her, and Peace had already made up her mind. She knocked once and opened, "Hey Boss!", she shouted from the door, "I just wanted to say goodnight I am leaving, also get some rest you're so uptight these days", she then closed the door before he could process what was being said. She climbed down the stairs, greeting everyone she knew, it was the champagne speaking.

She waited a few minutes before Akwande packed in front of her, he intensely looked at the place while she got in the car, "This is your workplace? What do you do here?", he asked as soon as she shut the door. She analyzed him, he was tired, "Yes, I waitress", she simply told her usual lie and Akwande started driving. "I brought you something to eat", he grabbed a McDonald's bag from the back seat, "Thank you. What's up? You do not look okay.", he looked at her then back to the road, "I didn't know you cared so much", he smiled he knew she was going to get annoyed by that statement. "Forget it." "Are you always like this? Easily annoyed or it's just with me?", she was always like that, with men, "I am just tired and have no time for your foolishness. "For a beautiful lady, you quite have a tamper", she just blushed from hearing the word beautiful for the second time today.

As he was driving, he ended up resting his hand on her thigh, she did not mind it, their bodily attraction was far beyond them, "You are right something is bothering me", she waited for him to finish, "it's a family matter". Peace was not sure whether she should ask for details or that was it, he was done venting, "Are you fighting with your parents?", she asked holding her breath she was not good with these types of conversations. "No, my parents spend much time away we won't even get time to eat breakfast together", he chuckled but Peace heard the hurt in his voice. "It's my sister she came back home today. She was so hurt, and I hated to see her like that", it was his first time ever mentioning his family, so she figured it was important. "She tried everything to save her marriage, but her divorce was finalized today, and she is not coping. She just does not deserve all of this, and worse there are two kids involved. I wish I could make her pain go away right now." Peace was connecting the dots as he continued narrating his sister's pain and divorce.

'How small can this world get.'