Chapter 13: Help me

A familiar sense of dread invaded my mind as new messages kept popping up on my screen.

- You're an embarrassment to our family

- Return home right this instant

I could hear every single word on my screen in her voice.

"Do not make me come find you by myself, you ingrate!"

"Do you think you can get away from us forever?"

Her shrill voice pierced into my brain directly, and every single word from her hastened my heartbeat.

'It's alright... I made sure to scrub everything off the devices that I left there... They won't find me...'

"We'll make sure to do everything in our power to find you."

'I covered all my tracks... All the aliases and third parties that I've used... This SIM card that I'm using should be untraceable... T-That's what the person from the black market told me...'

"Do you know why?"

"Ah... Aaah..." A whimper escaped from my mouth.

"Because we love you very much, my dear," that sickening voice spoke those dreaded words.

"AAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

In a state of hysteria, I quickly turned off my phone and plugged out the SIM card. I scratched off the gold plating with my fingernails and snapped the card in a hurry.

"Hah... Hah..."

I could feel my back drenched in cold sweat, my heartbeat almost deafening, my face covered in tears, and my hands trembling erratically. Simply breathing took every single ounce of my energy. My head was spinning, but I did my best to calm myself down.

'It's alright... I'm safe... They won't figure it out... I'm safe... I escaped... I'm... safe...'

I repeated those words to myself, but I couldn't feel it working. Every single word in my mind sounded like a lie. A poetic divine punishment fit for a liar.

'Damn it... Please...'

It felt like the world was crumbling around me. I could only focus on breathing, but even that was too much for me. I pounded my chest with my fist, but I couldn't feel any air filling my lungs. Something heavy is pressing down on my chest. I need to take it out. Rip it out. Gouge it out.

Knock knock!

"Are you okay? I heard something earlier from down there..." A soft voice asked, sounding worried over me.

A wave of clarity spread through my body. The pressing weight on my chest dissipated, and fresh air finally filled my lungs. I released the grip on my chest as I exhaled and inhaled repeatedly.

"Keok.. Hah... Fuu..." I wiped my saliva that had dribbled down my mouth. The back of my throat tastes like bile, which I swallowed back down in disgust. The only thing I wanted to do right now is to keep breathing.

"I'm coming in, okay?" Her voice resounded once more behind the basement door.

After hearing that, I quickly shoved the broken pieces of the SIM card under my pillow and pretended to be asleep on my sides. It was the worst acting I'd ever done. I was still a mess that struggled to breathe.

Click!

I heard the door click open. Her presence loomed behind me, quietly staring at me.

"Ah..." A gasp escaped her mouth. I realized that she must've spotted the phone that I left behind.