Chapter 17: My Choice

I checked on Mika one more time for good measure. She was still fast asleep, unaware of my intentions.

'This is it, everything that I've done has led up to this point.'

All my hard work, from my first encounter with Mika, the escape attempt with Roomie, dealing with Mika's eccentric mood, pretending to be Mika's lover in front of her friends, the little theatrics I performed to save Enna...

Every single part of it had been tiring and nerve-wracking. I was busy figuring out ways to survive without making a single mistake in front of her, in fear of the pain that she had inflicted on our first meeting.

However...

I can't deny the different feelings budding inside me during my time here. How happy I'd been from seeing her smile, how much it hurt when I saw her suffering, how relieved I felt when she trusted and took care of me, and how fun the useless small talk we had turned out to be. Every single one of those emotions had become very important to me before I realized it.

The fact that I remained still with this chance in front of me is the proof of it all.

'Damn it... This is frustrating.'

Every time I considered a decision, the other one came rearing its head. My mind struggled between the two opposing ideas.

(Lying and running away is all we know anyway. Why stop now?)

I felt my inner mind calling to me. It was a voice that I had always followed, the one that led me to escape the hellish nightmare that I was forced to call 'family'.

'...I'm not sure. My heart just aches when I imagine her alone without me. And for some reason, I felt the same way when I imagined myself without her.' I responded to it.

(Who cares what kind of heart disease you got, idiot? You start feeling bad for her just because she's a bit nice to you recently? Did you forget what she'd done to us?)

The voice mocked me as it asked a question.

'No, I still remember it,' I looked at my right hand that trembled ever so slightly whenever I recalled that vivid memory. The pain was unlike anything I've ever felt before, and it would probably stay with me for a long time.

'...But I don't want to be controlled by my past. I've had enough of that,' I forcefully clenched my right hand into a fist to stop it from trembling, 'I've seen her improve with my own eyes. I'll just have to do the same thing myself.'

(Stop trying to sound cool, jackass. Even if our trash-like behavior managed to improve, there's no guarantee that she wouldn't revert back to how she was before. One wrong move and she would lock us back down in that basement! There's no need to risk it.)

The voice attempted to reason with me.

'Not making any wrong moves, isn't that what we've been doing so far? We just need to keep it up,' I responded as if it was the most obvious thing to do.

I gently caressed Mika's head without waking her up, a soft smile had raised the corners of my mouth naturally, 'Besides, I trust her.'

The voice faltered before asking me another question.

(...How so?)

'Because I love her,' I answered confidently.

(Fuck, I would've vomited in my own mouth if I could.)

The voice groaned from hearing my answer.

'...It was more embarrassing to say than I thought.'