C13. Clarifying Responsibilities.

Chapter 13

When Cao Xun broached the subject of marriage, Yunzhu anticipated that the Duke was seeking to propose to her.

What truly caught her off guard was Cao Xun's approach in asking for her hand in marriage.

Yunzhu was well aware of the numerous ardent suitors vying for her attention, such as Cao Shao, who had spared no effort in attempting to win her favor. In his pursuit of her hand, Cao Shao had showered her with sweet words and even gone so far as to bare his heart to demonstrate his sincerity.

In contrast, Cao Xun's manner was quite different. He did not rely on flowery language and did not condone unreasonable behavior, even going as far as to mention the possibility of divorcing his current wife.

Yunzhu felt a surge of frustration. When had she ever been unreasonable? Any anger she felt was surely provoked by someone else!

Despite her initial indignation, Yunzhu's emotions were soon replaced by a sense of rationality as she reflected on the situation.

Cao Xun was right in one respect — they scarcely knew each other. Cao Xun's interest in marrying her was undoubtedly driven by her physical beauty, while her interest lay in his power, talent, and what marrying him could mean for her.

Taking a deep breath, Yunzhu recognized that a shrewd operator like Cao Xun had likely discerned her motivations and was mindful that his older age might not maintain her interest for long. His mention of divorce was likely a preemptive strategy, communicated as a warning.

Yunzhu wished to convey to Cao Xun that he was misconstruing her as conniving and unprincipled. Li Yunzhu might have her arrogance, but she would never resort to dishonorable behavior that would tarnish her family's name. Yet she knew her words would fall on deaf ears, even Cao Xun wouldn't believe her protestations.

"I understand. I will think it over carefully," she responded, withholding her approval. It was evident that she was in no hurry to rush into this union despite Cao Xun's apparent impatience. Her pride was evident in her demeanor, although moments later, a pallor crept over her face.

Cao Xun, aware that the presence of young men such as Cao Shao and Xie Lang had stirred her temper, knew it was time to placate her. Despite his earlier stern words, his aim was to convey his true character to her. Ideally, he wished for harmony rather than discord in their marriage.

Upon observing Yunzhu's request for the maids to handle the fish, Cao Xun offered again: "Allow me. This is likely not a task you frequently undertake. It's not worth risking injury."

In response, Yunzhu glanced at him and delivered a sarcastic comment: "Isn't this like summoning a noble prince to perform a servant's duty?"

After exchanging a laugh with Cao Xun, she recognized that despite his age, he was not readily submitting to her. Satisfied, she delegated the task to him and prepared to resume fishing.

Meanwhile, Xie Wenying discreetly averted her gaze as Yunzhu stood up and adjusted her skirt. Earlier, Duke Dingguo had expressed concern about Yunzhu potentially hurting herself, prompting him to check on her.

Although his demeanor exuded maturity and composure, Xie Wenying couldn't shake the feeling of déjà vu, as she observed him conversing with Yunzhu. She wondered if history would repeat itself, a question for which she had no answer.

Soon after, Yunzhu approached and explained in a casual manner: "Thankfully, Duke Dingguo came to assist. Previously, I assumed my grandfather's routine of cleaning fish was easy. However, when I attempted it myself, I realized how challenging it was. The fish scales were tough and sharp, and I nearly cut myself."