C89. A Gentle Knight's Pledge.

Chapter 89

Shanhaiguan falls under the jurisdiction of Funing County.

At this moment, Yunzhu had already sensed the coolness of the seaside. By averting the sun's harsh rays during the day, the breeze before her remained refreshing. When Cao Xun returned at night, she didn't mind the sultry heat.

After another day of travelling, Funing County appeared in the distance, and a group quickly approached from the city gate.

Lian Qiao preemptively lowered the bamboo curtains on both sides of the carriage, ensuring their privacy. Peering through the gap, Yunzhu witnessed around ten people standing in front of Cao Xun, respectfully saluting.

The two leaders were a man clad in blue official robes, Mr. Song, the magistrate of Funing County, nearly forty years old, and a military attaché of a similar age, with a robust figure and tanned complexion, the high-ranking commander of Shanhaiwei. Cao Xun had briefed Yunzhu beforehand.

The high commander had a close comradeship with Cao Xun, having fought alongside him in battles. Their interaction was more natural and effortless.

"I haven't seen you in a decade. Back then, the Duke wasn't as formidable, but now he's become as resilient as iron and steel!" Commander Gao enthusiastically grasped Cao Xun's shoulder.

Cao Xun grinned and replied, "Brother Gao, your valor has only grown over the years."

Standing beside them with a slender build, Mr. Song wore a smile.

Yunzhu refrained from eavesdropping.

Following the pleasantries, the high commander proposed, "The Duke and his wife will rest at the official residence for a while. Would you allow us to host a meal for you?"

Cao Xun agreed, "That would be splendid."

The official residence, located just across from the magistrate's office, had no other occupants. Mr. Song had already arranged for the best courtyard to be cleaned and prepared for the couple visiting from the capital.

Yunzhu took a soothing bath. While the journey had its joys, it was undeniably exhausting.

"If you don't want to partake in the local officials' entertainment, you don't have to go. Don't feel obligated." Cao Xun remarked, as Lian Qiao aided Yunzhu with her grooming.

Yunzhu responded, "The high commander and you have distinct relationships. They are hosting a banquet at the mansion and inviting me through you. If I decline, it would put you in a difficult position."

Cao Xun smiled and said, "Generals from all over the north hold me in high regard, albeit to varying degrees. If you're bothered by this, you'll have numerous social engagements over the next six months."

Yunzhu murmured, "It depends on my mood. If you upset me, I won't accompany you to socialize."

As the couple conversed glances through the looking glass, Lian Qiao felt she was intruding and swiftly finished dressing her lady before leaving.

Sure enough, once she departed, Cao Xun scooped the young lady onto his lap and cajoled, "After dinner, I'll head to Shanhaiwei first and then return to accompany you to the sea. Are you leaving early? You won't tolerate the sun's rays on the beach."

The seaside's coolness and the sun's allure were seductive - two days outdoors were guaranteed to tan.

Yunzhu nodded, considering the high commander's sun-kissed complexion.

Cao Xun's trip was for a major border patrol, not a leisurely excursion with Yunzhu. She recognized its importance and wouldn't hold it against him.

"Can I visit the guardhouse with you?" Yunzhu was more intrigued by that prospect.