C69. Holding Until Dawn.

Chapter 69

When the representatives from the Huai'an Marquis Mansion arrived to report the funeral, Cao Xun was still awake.

If it weren't for the close relationship between Cao Xun and Zhang Xingjian, Liu Jing wouldn't have sent someone so early.

The news was reported to Cao Xun by Zhang Tai, the general manager.

Cao Xun appeared to be a composed and steady elder brother in front of Yunzhu and Cao Shao, but Zhang Tai had watched him grow from a boy with red lips and white teeth to an indomitable heir.

Zhang Tai also recalled the memory of Zhang Xingjian rushing over with roast chicken. The day they were searching for their eldest son, they remembered him leaving with Zhang Xingjian, but they didn't know they were going to rescue another friend who was grounded. The adults had already guessed it.

The sudden departure of such a well-regarded son and accomplished general saddened Zhang Tai, who couldn't bear to look at Duke Dingguo standing under the eaves of the corridor.

Remaining calm, Cao Xun met Zhang Tai's gaze and gave orders: "Prepare for the funeral ceremony and ready the carriage."

Cao Xun's composure left Zhang Tai speechless, blocking the words of comfort he had been planning to offer.

It seemed that Cao Xun understood what was on Zhang Tai's mind and said, "He had been prepared for a long time, and there is nothing surprising about it."

With that, Cao Xun turned and made his way to the backyard, leaving Zhang Tai even more concerned.

The maids in the backyard were unaware of the situation and continued with their tasks as the master returned and Cao Xun went straight to the inner room.

She was still asleep behind the drooped gauze curtain. Cao Xun sat by the window, his gaze falling on the tea set on the table, and poured himself a bowl of tea.

The steaming water from the maids filled the room and Cao Xun smiled as he recalled the dream from the previous night.

When his friend returned from the grassland, after so many years, to reunite with his wife, he still missed his time spent in the military on the grasslands. This trip had fulfilled his wish, and he would no longer have to endure the pain. He could ride a horse and drink to his heart's content, and return to Beijing to see his wife and children whenever he pleased.

Cao Xun, to be honest, did not like the sight of his friend's disheveled appearance. He found comfort in his youthful appearance.

Yunzhu slept until the middle of the night, thirty minutes longer than usual. She awoke to an empty room and saw Cao Xun sitting by the window through the thin gauze and screen.

As the three-day Mid-Autumn Festival holiday for officials began, it was normal for him not to go to the official office. The autumn day was dry, and after drinking some fruit wine with Liu Jing and others, Yunzhu's throat felt parched.

Observing Cao Xun, Yunzhu felt a sense of helplessness. Not only was Cao Xun accustomed to following her orders, she too was accustomed to giving them. As expected, she could get along with him in accordance with his nature, and she felt comfortable in doing so. She had no need to dwell on whether it was love or not. She did not want it anyway.

"I'm thirsty, bring me some water," she said casually after opening the curtain.

On the table, there was a pot of tea and a pot of warm water. Cao Xun changed the tea bowl to pour water for her and brought it to the bedside.

Yunzhu had already sat up. As Cao Xun approached with the water, she noticed that his expression seemed off. It wasn't the emotion, but the color of his face. His usually gentle, jade-like complexion appeared somewhat pale.