C84. The Arrival of a New Ruler.

Chapter 84

Liping, Guizhou is a great distance from the capital. The journey to welcome the new emperor commenced in early February, traveling at a swift pace non-stop until they finally welcomed him back at the end of May.

Empress Dowager Cao personally led hundreds of civil and military officials out of the city to greet the new emperor.

Over at Zuixianju, early in the morning, Yunzhu stayed with her mother and sister-in-law. As the ceremonial procession of the new emperor was about to enter the city, Meng Shi cradled her daughter and daughter-in-law, standing by a window.

The new emperor sat in a resplendent royal chariot, flanked by generals in silver armor. Among them, a young man in red robes rode a tall horse, guarding the left side of the royal chariot. His noble countenance and calm demeanor were distinctly noticeable. He was Li Xian, the third son of the Duke of Ning.

Yunzhu hadn't seen her brother in a whole year. Upon reuniting with him after such a prolonged absence, she couldn't help but notice the changes in him. His complexion was sun-kissed, his stature taller and more robust, and his tranquil disposition... It was easy for any observer to overlook that he was only sixteen years old.

Meng Shi gazed at her son as he advanced, her face expressing relief.

Gu Min eased her mother-in-law and sister-in-law with playful banter. "The third brother is becoming increasingly handsome. I see many young ladies below are enchanted by him."

Yunzhu withdrew her gaze from her brother's retreating figure and spotted her father and Cao Xun riding side by side on their horses.

The bystanders below the window chattered excitedly: "Duke Ningguo and the great uncle of the Emperor are both striking and refined generals. One would think they are not of the same lineage."

"He resembles more of Duke Ningguo's own son than the eldest of the Li family."

"You're merely babbling. He is just ten years younger than Duke Ning."

"Their widespread allure is due to their good looks. Both appear younger than they are."

"Look, it's the heir Li, what a fine specimen. With his built, I worry for the horse under him."

Upon hearing this, Yunzhu and Meng Shi instinctively glanced at Gu Min.

Gu Min's complexion turned redder than a charcoal fire. She quietly retreated to her chair, pouring herself a cup of tea. She felt embarrassed and irked, scoffing at the man's baseless comments. She could tolerate Li Yao.

After all, would the large horse struggle to carry him?

*

After the new emperor entered the palace, he led all civil and military officials to pay homage to Emperor Qianxing at the Feng'an Temple, built in his honor.

Emperor Qianxing's coffin is still here, surrounded by a circle of ice to combat the summer heat. Despite this, some lingering smells escape.

Former second prince Li Wang, now Emperor Xining, held three sticks of incense and bowed calmly three times to the coffin.

As the elder brother and now the Emperor, he did not feel the need to kneel to his deceased brother.

Emperor Xining never anticipated returning to the capital after the challenges he faced on his way to Guizhou. Even in Guizhou, he planned to protect himself from any harm related to his late brother's death.

Who could have foreseen that Emperor Qian Xing would torture himself to death after Emperor Xining and Li Xian gathered loyal followers to ensure their safety in the stone village.