C53. Balancing Two Hearts.

Chapter 53

On the twenty-seventh day of the national mourning period, while the twelve-year-old Emperor Qianxing presided over his coronation ceremony, the entire capital gradually emerged from the somber atmosphere following the late emperor's passing.

Nevertheless, the Emperor, courtiers, and officials, both civil and military, anxiously awaited the next moves of Empress Dowager Cao and Emperor Qianxing.

The once crown prince, now reigning as Emperor Qianxing, finally embarked on establishing his imperial lineage after a month on the throne.

His first task was to address the matter of the second prince.

Emperor Qianxing could never forget the dread he felt at Nanyuan when his father designated Li Xian as a companion to the second prince. That terrifying day had left him so disturbed that he fell gravely ill that night, becoming the object of ridicule in the court.

Emperor Qianxing harbored no resentment toward his late father, as it would be futile. He had no intention of behaving in an unfilial manner toward his deceased father.

Instead, he directed his lingering resentment toward the second prince.

"Mother, I wish to demote the second prince to commoner status," Emperor Qianxing broached his plan to Queen Mother Cao.

Empress Dowager Cao chuckled, "Nonsense. He has committed no wrongdoing. What justification do you have for dethroning him?"

She, too, held an aversion toward the second prince. As long as the second prince lived, she would be reminded of the late emperor's inclination to depose her son. There were even courtiers who secretly supported the second prince. In such circumstances, the Empress Dowager silently wished for the second prince's swift demise. However, despite her status as the empress dowager and her son's position as emperor, neither could act with impunity, and they were bound by established protocol.

Emperor Qianxing expressed his discontent, "It cannot simply be dismissed. Should past events be so easily forgotten?"

Empress Dowager Cao responded softly, "What has occurred before? You must remember that your father merely assigned Li Xian to his side. This action holds no substantial significance. You have always been the late emperor's favored choice for the throne. However, now that you have ascended to the throne, it is time to appoint your second brother as a king and assign him a suitable vassal state."

Emperor Qianxing's interest was piqued, prompting him to promptly instruct palace officials to procure maps of the thirteen provinces of the Xia Dynasty.

With the exception of the coastal provinces, all other regions experience increasing poverty towards their peripheries. According to recent tax revenue, Guizhou, situated southwest of Yunnan, stands at the bottom of the list among the thirteen provinces. Reports tell of rugged terrains and abundant mountains, with many communities inhabited by people who are considered uncivilized, unable to speak Mandarin or read Chinese characters.

Emperor Qianxing sneered as he pointed to Liping Mansion beneath Guizhou, stating, "It is here that I shall appoint him as the King of Li."

He decided to send the second prince to this desolate location, indicating that if the prince were to succumb to an early demise due to illness, it would be of no concern to him.

Empress Dowager Cao remarked, "Bestowing a vassalage is a significant matter, and the opinions of the cabinet ministers will need to be considered."

Emperor Qianxing contemplated that, as the emperor, the title of the second prince was a strictly private affair of the royal family. If any elder dared to object, he would be replaced.