C63. "Out of Sight, Out of Mind".

Chapter 63

Despite Cao Xun's swift and unhesitant action of picking lotus flowers for her, Yunzhu sensed a lingering anger within him, prompting him to act so cruelly that night.

Unable to dissuade or stop him, Yunzhu resigned herself to seeking retribution at a later time.

In the tranquility of the summer night, the croaking of frogs from the garden ponds fell on deaf ears as Yunzhu's inner turmoil drowned out all external noise.

Only after the chorus of frogs had faded into slumber did Cao Xun tenderly turn the weeping lady over and cradle her in his embrace.

At that moment, Yunzhu clung to him like a drowning soul desperately clutching at driftwood.

Cao Xun's gaze traced the patterns on the ceiling, lulled by the subsiding rhythm of their breaths.

With her flushed cheek against his neck and her feeble hand resting on his chest, Cao Xun lovingly gazed at her and stroked her disheveled hair and closed eyelashes before allowing her to drift off to sleep.

*

Yunzhu slept until three in the morning, awakening to find a fresh brocade mattress and new undergarments, evidence of Cao Xun's attentive care for her while she slumbered.

Though he may have desired more, Cao Xun's gentle demeanor and consideration for her welfare after the fact set him apart from the selfish characters in storybooks who only sought their own pleasure.

Upon seeing Cao Xun, Yunzhu still shot him a fierce glare, despite his attentive gestures.

Having taken a day off to read in the study, Cao Xun light-heartedly teased the refreshed lady upon her waking, only to be met with her coldness and presumption. "Morning! I've been waiting for an hour and a half. Guess someone was really looking forward to breakfast."

Yunzhu, still blinking the sleep away, chuckled. "Hey, don't blame me for your impatience. And who kept me up until then?"

Cao Xun winked, his gaze lingering on the rumpled bedsheets. "Perhaps someone was captivated by stimulating conversation..."

Yunzhu playfully swatted his arm and headed towards the main room, leaving him with a teasing smile.

Breakfast was promptly delivered, and Yunzhu, observing two sets of bowls and chopsticks at the table, realized that Cao Xun had waited to share the meal with her.

The couple sat facing each other, engaging in a casual conversation.

Cao Xun gently spoke, "I made inquiries about my father-in-law's injury this morning. He is recovering well and showing no common symptoms such as fever. There has been no sign of danger for the past two days since the injury."

Yunzhu cast a quick glance at him and remarked, "You still possess some sense of filial piety as a son-in-law."

Cao Xun responded, "It's not about filial piety. I simply don't want you to worry about him."

Yunzhu smiled as she took a mouthful of porridge.

The conversation continued as Cao Xun discussed domestic matters, and after the leisurely breakfast, he inquired, "I heard from Uncle Zhang that the Empress summoned you to the palace yesterday afternoon?"

Yunzhu nodded, "Yes, she expressed concerns that I would be upset with you. She spoke rather favorably about you and even presented me with some fine satin."

Cao Xun acknowledged the information.

Observing his elegant and striking features, Yunzhu suddenly smiled, "You are curious about the Emperor giving me a chariot to leave the palace, aren't you?"