C26. Where Age Finds Laughter in Youth's Light.

Chapter 26

Yunzhu was aware that Cao Xun had visited Cao Shao, but based on Cao Xun's previous resoluteness, it seemed that he felt little affection for his half-brother and was merely fulfilling a duty of honor.

With Cao Xun's influential status, there was no need to take Cao Shao seriously. But perhaps by extending some kindness and goodwill, he could enhance his reputation and be viewed as a virtuous individual. Why not try?

A figure appeared at the opposite end of the corridor. Yunzhu turned her head and saw Cao Xun, who had changed into casual attire. His temples glistened with the lingering dampness of a recent wash.

Yunzhu waited for Cao Xun to return for dinner, contemplating his various actions while sitting by the stunning view of the verandah.

After a while, Cao Xun stopped in front of her, raised his hand, and gently stroked her head.

"I've wasted some time visiting my brother. Are you already hungry? If I return late in the future, please don't wait for me before having your meal," he said.

Yunzhu replied, "Not particularly hungry."

They walked together to the main room. When Cao Xun mentioned Cao Shao, Yunzhu naturally inquired about his well-being. She wasn't concerned that her questions would give away her lingering feelings for Cao Shao.

Cao Xun replied, "It seems he's in good spirits. He mentioned that he has a duty at the Hanlin Academy tomorrow morning."

Yunzhu inwardly sighed with relief.

If Cao Xun's thoughts were as inscrutable as the depths of the sea, Cao Shao's affection for her was clear as day. The mere exchange of a glance and a shared umbrella on the bridge had revealed Cao Shao's attraction for her, to the extent that Cao Xun suspected his illness might be lovesickness.

Yunzhu was relieved to see Cao Shao filled with sorrow and remorse, yet she also didn't wish for him to become ill, as that would be excessive.

As the servants prepared dinner, Yunzhu avoided any mention of Cao Shao, and Cao Xun didn't interrogate her about it.

As they both settled into the Babu bed, Cao Xun chose not to be unkind to Yunzhu on account of Cao Shao's ailment. Instead, he tenderly embraced her.

When he kissed her so fervently that she struggled to catch her breath, a thought dawned upon Yunzhu's dizzying mind.

It might be that Cao Xun was entirely indifferent to whether or not she still harbored an old affection for Cao Shao.

Love and animosity are intangible and unseen forces. If individuals who love each other can employ these to torment one another, what concern is it of Cao Xun’s?

He holds significant influence externally and has a beautiful wife internally. Unless Yunzhu refuses him intimacy due to being "in love with Cao Shao" or openly involves herself with Cao Shao, thus tarnishing Cao Xun's honor, what would bother him? It seems rather unlikely that Cao Xun would delve into or take exception to this aspect.

*

Pan Shi patiently and tenderly coaxed her son for six or seven days, refraining from mentioning Yunzhu and Cao Xun so as not to cause her son further distress.

Once Cao Shao had fully recuperated, nourished by a bowl of chicken soup that restored color to his cheeks, Pan Shi gently suggested, "It's a chilly evening, Shao'er. Would you care to accompany me for a stroll in the garden?"

Cao Shao was not unfeeling. Regardless of his mother's difficult nature, he recognized her sincere love for him. Her discreet care during this period weighed heavily on him. If his mother had remained as overbearing and controlling as before, Cao Shao could have been unyielding.