C85. Thank You.

Chapter 85

Today is not Xiu Mu's day.

------
[  ] 休沐 (xiū mù) in ancient Chinese culture refers to a specific rest day during the work week.
------

Having concluded his audience with Emperor Xining in the role of a concerned uncle, Cao Xun returned to the Governor's Mansion, resuming his duties with characteristic diligence. Dusk settled upon the city before he finally emerged.

Ah Jiu, a smile crinkling the corners of his eyes, awaited his master outside the Governor's Mansion, leading his horse by the reins. "My lady likely lingers at Duke Ningguo's residence," he ventured. "Would you prefer to return and change, Master, or proceed directly?"

Cao Xun: "Continue straight ahead. You will return first."

Ah Jiu anticipated this and followed his master to a fork in the road, where they split off.

Cao Xun rode to the alley where Duke Ningguo's mansion was located.

The summer evening was long, the sun's rays casting a sultry glow that made it difficult to discern the approaching dusk. A wisp of smoke wafted from the kitchen of Duke Ningguo's mansion.

Cao Xun lingered at the corner before urging his horse forward.

The concierge warmly welcomed him and sent word inside.

Yunzhu's family, including Li Yao who had returned from work early and hastily changed into casual attire, were gathered in the hall.

Upon learning of his son-in-law's arrival, Li Yong glanced at the four juniors.

Li Xian and Gu Min both stood, ready to greet him. However, Li Yao and Yunzhu remained seated.

Catching his father's eye, Li Yao helplessly remarked, "He has visited so many times. He is not a stranger. Why should I go out to meet him every time?"

He reserved no pleasantries for his own family, reserving them only for those with whom he had ordinary relationships.

Without waiting for a reprimand from his father, Gu Min directly pulled her husband to his feet. It was only due to Li Yao's willingness to cooperate with his wife that allowed her to succeed in doing so.

Li Xian, Gu Min, and Yunzhu all shared the same sentiment, but Gu Min was eager to meet Cao Xun, so Yunzhu followed the three of them outside.

"Brother-in-law," Li Xian respectfully called out when they met.

Cao Xun smiled and patted the young man on the shoulder. "It's been a year. Brother Xian has grown, but he's too thin. You should drink more nourishing soup to regain your strength."

Gu Min interjected, "Do not worry, my mother has already instructed the kitchen to prepare the soup for my third brother every day."

Li Yao interjected, "What's your problem? He should be addressing you as sister-in-law."

Gu Min paid him no mind, choosing to ignore his comment.

Everyone was dressed in casual attire, while Cao Xun, wearing the vibrant red official uniform of the Governor, exuded an air of grandeur. Yunzhu couldn't help but comment, "Why did you come here in your official uniform without changing?"

Cao Xun looked at the young lady and replied with a smile, "I didn't want to waste any time. My father-in-law and mother-in-law haven't left any food for me."

Yunzhu: "..."

Cao Xun proceeded to pay his respects to his in-laws.

Considering the weather, Meng shi surmised that her son-in-law must not be feeling well after being dressed in his official uniform all day. She asked her daughter, "When he stayed over last time, did Fushan leave any clothes here?"