C43. Edge of Doubt; Blade or Grindstone?

Chapter 43

By evening, the news of Gu Shoufu suffering from heatstroke and being carried back by Li Yao had already spread throughout Nanyuan.

This is a common tale of civil servants and military officers, but with the inclusion of Gu Shoufu's gentle and beautiful granddaughter, the story takes on a new dimension.

It is difficult for the Empress Cao to remain indifferent.

In the evening, Emperor Yuan Qing visited her residence for dinner.

At the age of forty-one, Emperor Yuan Qing was still graceful and refined. However, as the years passed, he grew more lethargic, resembling the very cats he indulged. His once elegant countenance gradually diminished, a result of his growing indolence and the accumulation of flesh.

Upon entering the palace, the Empress Cao admired Emperor Yuan Qing. Nevertheless, as Emperor Yuan Qing ages, her affection quietly dissipates. She no longer concerns herself with whether Emperor Yuan Qing favors her again. As long as her son's position as crown prince is secure, Empress Cao need not worry about anything, regardless of whom the emperor marries.

Nevertheless, in front of Emperor Yuan Qing, Empress Cao maintains an appropriate level of admiration. She meticulously tends to his dietary needs.

After the meal, Emperor Yuan Qing took his usual health pill before swallowing it. Empress Cao immediately offered him a sour and sweet apricot preserve.

As the elixir took effect, Emperor Yuan Qing felt invigorated. Had it been daytime, he might have gone horse racing on the grasslands to stretch his muscles. Since it was night, he directed this newfound energy toward Empress Cao.

Emperor Yuan Qing is someone who relishes pleasure. Though he now takes the most pleasure in teasing his cats, he has not entirely forsaken women, though he no longer dedicates as much time to ensuring the happiness of his concubines as he did in his youth. Once he has slept, he tends to forget about it.

Empress Cao's soft and graceful voice continued for more than two quarters of an hour, as the health-preserving pill was particularly potent. Not only did Emperor Yuan Qing regain his former vitality, but Empress Cao, too, found great satisfaction.

Later, as the couple embraced tenderly, Empress Cao waited patiently. When Emperor Yuan Qing took the initiative to engage in idle chatter, Empress Cao subtly brought up the topic of Li Yao and Gu Shoufu without giving herself away: "Li Yao has saved Mr. Gu. Since his granddaughter is unmarried, does the Emperor believe that Mr. Gu will betroth his granddaughter to Li Yao out of gratitude?"

Emperor Yuan Qing tenderly touched Empress Cao's smooth shoulder and spoke with a gentle smile: "I am not privy to his innermost thoughts, so how could I possibly know."

Empress Cao affectionately stroked Emperor Yuan Qing's chin and replied: "I hope Mr. Gu does not harbor such notions. I hold a fondness for young Gu Min as well."

Emperor Yuan Qing gazed at Empress Cao with surprise and asked, "Are you attempting to unite Gu Min and Huaibei?"

Empress Cao nodded quietly and expressed, "Yunzhu and Huaibei were childhood sweethearts. I had high hopes for them, but it seems fate had other plans. Of all the maidens in the capital, Gu Min's gentle nature and talent are ideal for Huaibei. Although there was a wedding this year, I intend to arrange something for them next year."

In truth, Empress Cao desired for Gu Min to become her daughter-in-law, but her son was still too young and they were not of the same age.

Gu Shoufu was barely in his fifties. Could he possibly hold the position of chief minister for another decade? In ten years, her son would be of age. With the eldest and second princes far from home, there would be no threat to her son's throne.