C64. Calming the Storm, Peace Offering.

Chapter 64

The Commander-in-Chief of the Fifth Army holds a significant position within the national army. As the leader of the Five Armies, Cao Xun is wrapped up in official duties. Despite his busy schedule, Yunzhu won't wait for him to make time for her. If he doesn't force the issue, his only chance to visit the mansion is during a brief afternoon break.

Unexpectedly, she slipped into the rear house once more.

The Lady's icy and detached countenance was a facade for her true frustration. Her willingness to play the coquette hinted that her anger was almost gone, and she simply craved for him to humble himself and tenderly beg for forgiveness.

"You're so cruel. I stayed outside for six nights hoping you'd show a hint of mercy and open the door for me, but it was all in vain."

"If I don't come back now, will you still keep me at arm's length for a few more days?"

"My colleagues know I left my responsibilities without permission just to earn your pardon, and they mock me for it."

"Stop crying. Clearly, it's you who's punishing me. I miss you terribly."

The vivid red official uniform was draped over a cream-colored waistcoat, and the contrasting colors were more captivating through the sheer fabric than when seen directly.

Cao Xun quickly silenced Yunzhu with passionate kisses, knowing her vulnerabilities lay in her earlobes and neck.

She closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around his neck.

Cao Xun, looking down, noticed a faint blush coloring her cheeks, her lips resembling freshly washed cherries, radiant and red.

After giving her a prolonged kiss, he broke away when she started to push against his shoulders. "We cannot delay any further. I must return immediately. Will you wait for me to join you for dinner tonight?"

Yunzhu didn't respond. She pushed away from him, and clutching the quilt to her chest, lay down, seemingly displeased that her mood was disturbed.

Cao Xun smiled, kissed her once more, then parted the gauze curtain, hastily straightened out his uniform, and departed.

The room fell silent once more.

Yunzhu opened her eyes and sneered, realizing that she had been naive to think that Cao Xun was taking her seriously by constantly seeking her favor.

However, Cao Xun believed that attempting to win her over with a temporary absence without permission and a few sweet words would make her forget the hurtful things he had said, which seemed rather disrespectful.

"It's fine. I didn't marry for love in the first place, so I will simply cope with it."

At dusk, Cao Xun returned home punctually. Before changing into his official attire, he gazed out at the veranda leading to the backyard and smiled upon noticing the small door ajar in the middle.

Upon reaching the back house, he found the young lady reclining on the couch in the second room with a ledger beside her.

Cao Xun perused it and discovered that it was her dowry property. He gathered it together and set it aside before leaning in to kiss her forehead.

Yunzhu, looking up at him, lowered her eyes.

Cao Xun inquired warmly, "Have you been perusing the accounts all afternoon?"

Yunzhu hummed in response.

Cao Xun pinched her earlobe and remarked, "It looks like your dowry is quite substantial, enough to lull me to sleep merely by perusing the accounts."