C21. Togetherness: Where Weird is Wonderful.

Chapter 21

All the tea serving utensils were removed, compelling Pan shi to instruct the maid to bring in rice instead.

Cao Xun supported the "hungry" delicate young lady to the dining room and ensured that Yunzhu could sit securely. He then invited Pan shi and Cao Shao to take their seats, sitting beside Yunzhu.

There are only four masters in Duke Dingguo's mansion, and for them to sit separately seems rather comical.

Pan shi sat across from Cao Xun, directly facing Yunzhu, leaving Cao Shao with no choice but to sit next to Pan shi.

Yunzhu continued to feign weakness, propping her chin with her left hand, and casually instructed Lian Qiao, "Pour two bowls of tea."

Lian Qiao promptly complied.

Yunzhu held a cup of tea with both hands and placed it in front of Pan shi. She admitted, "Etiquette cannot be disregarded, but I am truly too weak. Please forgive me, Madam."

Pan shi glanced at Cao Xun, stoically drank the "daughter-in-law tea," and directed her nanny to bring the red gold and silk hairpin she had prepared, handing it to Yunzhu.

Yunzhu smiled gratefully, then placed another bowl in front of Cao Shao, offering a soft smile as she said, "I will serve you tea as well."

Cao Shao knew she did it deliberately, using this method to seek retribution for his betrayal and adding salt to his wounds with a touching smile. Yet he did not hold Yunzhu responsible; it was his own fault.

Lowering his eyes, Cao Shao picked up his tea cup and said with a forced smile, "Thank you, sister-in-law."

The morning tea ceremony concluded.

Yunzhu savored small spoonfuls of red date and lotus seed porridge, occasionally stealing glances at Cao Xun.

After exchanging another glance, Cao Xun inquired, "Are you still enjoying your breakfast?"

Yunzhu remarked candidly, "The porridge is overly sweet, and I am unaccustomed to it."

The nanny beside Pan overheard and responded with an apologetic smile, "Young Madam, I was unaware. This was prepared specifically in the kitchen by Madam. It is tailored to suit your and Master Duke's health needs."

The maids surrounding Yunzhu addressed Cao Xun as "Master Duke," reserving the title "the Duke" for Li Yong. Consequently, the nanny adjusted her language accordingly. After all, the Cao family referred to Cao Shao as "Second Master" to avoid any confusion.

The intent to restore your health? That is universally understood.

Cao Shao's face fluctuated with color.

Yunzhu reproved the nanny calmly, "You tend to be overly talkative."

The nanny fell silent.

Yunzhu's objective was merely to oppose Pan shi. Seeing the resentment on her face, Cao Shao's heart stirred. Could it be that Yunzhu was still concerned about him and did not wish for any further discussions regarding her relationship with her elder brother?

This notion secretly pleased Cao Shao once more. He was not apprehensive of Yunzhu marrying someone else, but rather, he feared that she would completely forget about him.

Observing Tanhualang, who had briefly paused while partaking in a spoonful of porridge, Cao Xun noticed him taking two more spoonfuls in quick succession. Instantaneously, his lifeless countenance gained a semblance of vitality.

------
[  ] 探花郎 (tàn huā láng) is a title given to the third-ranked candidate in the imperial examinations during China's imperial era.
------