C42. The Unexpected Blush.

Chapter 42

After departing from the Gu family, Cao Xun, Li Yao, and other courtiers escorted Emperor Yuan Qing, while Yunzhu proceeded to the neighboring courtyard to reunite with her mother.

Meng shi had been aware of the commotion in the front yard and the fact that Gu Shoufu had suffered from heat stroke and had been carried back by his eldest son, but she was not fully informed about the details.

Suspecting her mother's curiosity, Yunzhu recounted the entire incident to her in detail.

Upon learning that her son had carried Gu Shoufu on his back, following Gu Min's instance, Meng shi entertained the thought that she might soon have a daughter-in-law. However, upon hearing the explanation that her eldest son had actually chuckled three times at Gu Min after her fall and injury, the sparkle in her eyes vanished instantly, and she reverted back to her composed nature.

Yunzhu could completely empathize with her mother's emotional fluctuation, having experienced similar feelings herself.

It seemed as though a slice of pie had landed in front of her brother, who, on the brink of starvation, had inadvertently trodden upon it. His carelessness had caused distress and ire to those concerned about him.

Yunzhu remarked, "Gu Min is on the verge of tears. And my brother still there, berating others for not trusting him enough."

Meng shi responded, "How can she not be afraid? The first time I rode a horse, I was so high off the ground. If I couldn't sit still, I might have fallen off from both sides. I was fearful of your father holding me from behind, not to mention Gu Min alone? Poor little girl, she must have been anxious all the way from the lake."

Yunzhu added, "Mr. Gu is suffering from heatstroke. If he had only twisted his foot, when my brother coerced Gu Min onto the horse, Mr. Gu could've struck him with a fishing rod."

Meng shi concurred, "Yes, he is not aiding others. He has clearly offended them. No, I must go and apologize in person."

True to her word, a quarter of an hour later, Meng shi changed her attire and prepared to depart.

Yunzhu accompanied her mother on this mission.

Gu Shoufu had just drifted off to sleep after taking his medicine, and his wife led the mother and daughter straight to their granddaughter's courtyard.

Having just conversed with her grandmother about personal matters, Gu Min blushed slightly upon seeing Li Yao's mother. As Meng shi displayed her disapproval of Li Yao's impudence, Gu Min appeared increasingly uncomfortable. She averted her gaze and defended Li Yao in a hushed tone, "Madam, you are mistaken. A commendable hero like the heir, who behaves unconventionally, has noble intentions. I am unharmed. How could I blame him?"

Observing the quiet and bashful countenance of the little girl, Meng shi then glanced at her daughter.

Yunzhu struggled to conceal the astonished look in her eyes. Gu Min had actually extolled her brother as a "hero"!

The first assistant's wife keenly noted the exchange of glances between the mother and daughter. To put it plainly, the Ningguo mansion was the preeminent noble family in the capital. Although her husband was now the first assistant, there would come a time when he retired. Once the new chief assistant assumed office, her husband's influence would diminish, and the glory of the Gu family would not be as pronounced.

The Duke of Ningguo is an unwavering nobleman. Unless the son of the Li family becomes fixated on the crime of rebellion, the title of the Li family can continue through the generations.

In her capacity as the mistress of Duke Ningguo's estate, Meng shi cherished her daughter as if she were a jewel. Her gracious and benevolent demeanor was also greatly appreciated by the first assistant's wife. When a young woman gets married, one consideration is the character and background of the man, and the other is whether the parents-in-law are amiable. Should one encounter an ill-tempered mother-in-law like Pan shi, who capriciously selects and rejects brides simply because she has a daughter who is an Empress, no matter how exceptional the man may be, he cannot wed her.