C95. Love Blooms: Yunzhu Breathes Life to Cao Xun.

Chapter 95

They slept in on New Year's Eve, and the husband and wife both indulged in a nap on New Year's Day.

The sound of firecrackers in the neighboring streets and alleys caused Cao Xun and Yunzhu to wake up. Cao Xun, poised and dignified, rose from the bed, drew back the gauze curtain, and began to put on his shoes. Yunzhu pretended to still be asleep, while Cao Xun went about his morning routine.

During his absence, Yunzhu, out of curiosity, reached under his pillow and discovered another red envelope. This wasn't surprising, as Cao Xun had given her a New Year's gift of money for the past two years. What puzzled Yunzhu was when he had managed to hide it, considering they had both stayed up late together the night before.

While leaning against the bedside, she opened the envelope to find the same contents as the previous year: two thousand taels of silver notes.

Upon Cao Xun's return from the washroom, he caught sight of the little lady peering through the gauze curtains of the bed.

"Next time, I'll have to find a better hiding spot," he remarked.

Climbing back into bed, Cao Xun embraced Yunzhu, who was unfazed by his actions and retorted with a playful glare.

Light-heartedly, Yunzhu poked Cao Xun in the chest and addressed their past disagreement: "Last Lunar New Year, you told me that nineteen was still considered a child, while twenty signified adulthood. What exactly did you mean? Are you trying to avoid the issue again and find fault with me?"

At the time, Yunzhu was preoccupied with thoughts of her family members who were oppressed during the late emperor's reign. She was in no mood to bicker with Cao Xun, but that didn't mean she hadn't noticed the underlying meaning behind his words.

Cao Xun fell silent.

"Admit it, you were right, weren't you?" Yunzhu demanded, fixing him with a pointed look.

Cao Xun smiled bitterly, drawing her closer and ruffling her hair before speaking. "Do you still remember last year's palace banquet on New Year's Eve, when you engaged in conversation with Emperor Qianxing?"

Yunzhu's expression shifted slightly. She had indeed used some choice words with the late emperor that night, words that prevented him from framing Cao Xun's brother. Consequently, the late emperor remembered her quite well.

Cao Xun also vividly recalled that evening. "I knew he deliberately approached you under the guise of watching the fireworks, and I suspected you said something to him, possibly related to your brother."

"I wouldn't have a favorable opinion of him if he mistreated my father-in-law and the others in such a manner. His hypocrisy and deceit are all for the sake of his family."

"I understand your grievances, but I also blame you for not trusting me," Cao Xun expressed.

"Yunzhu, I'm only human. You can't expect me to remain composed no matter what happens because I'm older and have been involved in politics for a while."

Yunzhu pursed her lips and comfortingly rubbed his chest. "I know, but I also have my own struggles. At the time, you didn't show any inclination to help our family. How could I trust you?"

"Due to the harsh words I uttered, you didn't believe me for a long time. My plans were too intricate, and I intended to inform you after everything was arranged to avoid you thinking I was all talk and no action," Cao Xun clarified.

Looking up at him with a hint of resentment, Yunzhu asked, "Are you blaming me?"

Cao Xun helplessly responded, "You're already jumping to conclusions about me. I'm simply sharing my thoughts at the time."