Unbreakable

He couldn't explain how he felt looking at her in the eyes, should he feel angry, satisfied, or hatred? He didn't know, his emotions were a mess. As for Jaden, he felt sorry for the two children whose fingers were clutching onto their mother's dress like glue.

A chuckle vibrated in the confines of the displayed sitting room drawing Tristian's gaze to the smirking person sitting on an old wooden chair with a victorious expression, "Waow, I nearly thought that you would not be coming to her rescue especially since you are a busy man".

Tristian was not in a haste to reply, he sat down and crossed his legs as if he were in charge of the whole scandal, "Well how can I reject such a glorious offer on a beautiful night like this?".

The other man's lips lifted into a sneer as Tristian blank gaze fell on the pregnant woman, he warned her to be careful but as usual, she never listened, "Well, she is no longer your woman so I expected less than this".

Tristian nodded, replying, "Right. She is not my woman but these innocent lives don't have anything to do with what is going on".

Tristian continued to ask, "What do you want, Arnoldo?"

The man let out a dramatic chuckle but answered, "Three hundred thousand dollars in exchange for their lives".

Jaden's brows shot up in surprise, was he mad or something? Requesting such a huge amount of money. Don't get him wrong but that money is nothing to Tristian.

"I can help you get a doctor for her, get you a house, and car, and get you a job as well," Tristian negotiated shocking Arnoldo including his men.

Tristian and Arnoldo had been friends since grade one, Arnoldo was from a high-class family but being an illegitimate child didn't give him the privileges others enjoyed.

Despised and shunned by his paternal family, he fought and worked hard to make a living, he set up a restaurant and designing company but his brother made sure that his business never saw the light of succession, he could only get something that paid his bills and put food on his table.

Despite his struggle in life, he fell in love and got married to a woman who loved him despite his shortcomings, his wife got pregnant after a year into their marriage, she put to bed a bouncing baby girl but died that day, the cause of her death still unknown.

Two years later, a tumour was discovered growing in the head of his daughter and she also had lung failure, with nowhere and no one to turn to. He ventured into the underworld where he met Tristian but he sold Tristian out when he needed money to pay his daughter's hospital bills.

Tristian had wanted to kill him but he couldn't find him until five months ago when he saw him at the hospital and decided to investigate him and what he had been up to during the two years he disappeared.

"Let them go and let's talk one on one," Tristian added with a sigh.

Arnoldo looked at his men who gave him an encouraging nod, "What about my men?"

"I can employ them if you want me to," Tristian said truthfully, he needed allies, not enemies, so he thought before speaking. Arnoldo was a trustworthy person but circumstances shaped him into the cold man he is today.

"Are you sure?" Arnoldo asked, doubt thick in his voice, Tristian didn't blame tho.  "Have I ever lied to you?" Tristian asked with raised brows causing the doubt in his heart to dissipate. Arnoldo signalled his men to let the kids and the pregnant woman go which they did.

"Thank you, Tristian," Lysander said with a grateful look.

"I did it not for you but for the kids and the unborn one," Tristian replied with a shrug, she nodded in understanding and walked out with two of Arnoldo's men.