Xander

Trust and betrayal,

Fickle things they are...

I just hold on to her,

Not letting her go afar!

XANDER

The park was filled with people even after the extent of snow and cold. I admired human persistence. My eyes scanned for Hazel and I was befuddled to see my elder brother sitting with Hazel on a bench. She was giggling delightfully at something Haylien said and suspicion plucked my mind. What was his trick?

Without thinking I walked towards them rather angrily.

"What are you doing Haylien" I almost growled.

A look of surprise came on Hazel's face; I couldn't bother less if she was hurt if she found out that my brother was evil.

"I am here on my first date brother." He actually answered it with genuine honesty.

My angel senses flicked for a moment and I realised he was not lying.

"Didn't you come here to keep eye on me?" I asked trying to get something of his complex behaviour.

"I did but it was boring and you are solely focused on your 'destiny' I couldn't face you watching her all day no matter how beautiful she is. Anyway Hazel here is more my type." He explained it with utter coolness and no ulterior motive.

My brother was powerful but not enough to play tricks with me this close.

"Then where is Brenna?" I asked totally bewildered.

And where was my girl?

All this while Hazel was silent and in total confusion of what we were talking about. At least she kept her calm but in her mind I knew she settled on one thing that we were brothers and I was better looking one.

I already knew that stuff.

"What happened to Brenna?" Hazel said in a high pitched stretched tone.

She was my least favourite in her friend group but I admired her sense of loyalty towards friends.

"She is missing, I think." I answered not too sure.

"Alexander why are you here? Where is the object of your obsession?" Haylien asked surprising touch of concern in his voice.

Some kind of game?

"I hate you brother for taking my place but killing you or torturing you is not my criteria. I am above that and I cannot disappoint mother again." He said the last part with bone breaking guilt.

He was sincere about what he said.

"Freya went to look after Brenna near the lake. And you are serious when you say you have no idea about where they both are." I asked obviously not trusting his good brother act.

"I swear in His name." He retorted angrily.

Now I know he was not lying, he could not be lying.

"I could help you find them, if you ask?" He said with his natural sense of irking me.

Of course I wanted that but I didn't ask for his help.

"Help them Haylien?"Suddenly Hazel requested having no idea what was happening just knowing that her friends were in danger.

She was going to shower us with questions later, I knew that.

And then surprisingly my brother sighed and got up.

"Fine let's find your object of desire."

He decision surprised me and brought a smile across Hazel's face. I had no idea why Haylien listened to her. He detested humans.

I didn't wait for them to decide their plan of action as panicked as I was I flew near the lake. I didn't even bother concealing it from Hazel but I was sure Haylien could handle that.

I sensed for anything unusual. There was nobody on this side, no crowd and this was weird. Suddenly I sensed her, to my mind her presence magnified.

My heart lurched out when I felt what she was feeling. She was cold, numb and unable to breathe. I forgot about the surrounding and rushed to her aid. She was drowning in ice cold water and it felt like my breath was sucked away. As a ruling angel I have never felt so miserable and powerless.

"Freya!" I yelled just for the sake of it, to let out my aggravation.

"There she is." Haylien was somehow there with Hazel following behind.

I saw the crack in the lake and saw the portion where it broke and trapped my human inside. In a blink of an eye I was in and pulled out Freya. The feeling of misery didn't leave. My heart painfully constricted inside me and a vacuum formed in my gut. An angel never feels this kind of sting. But seeing her pale, her beautiful lips blue and her body so lifeless I felt the surge of acute pain.

I realised what would happen if I am to lose to girl, I will lose my sanity and this earth will lose it residents. I will not and cannot survive without her. It took me seconds to heel her back to health, I was after all her guardian angel.

Her eyes fluttered opened and she blinked frantically to make senses of the surrounding.

"Freya, are you alright?" Hazel was the first one to ask in a timid voice.

She nodded and then looking at me she managed a weak smile.

"Of course I am. No one could hurt me." All this while she looked at me and her trust in me didn't waver.

Emotions took over restrain and again it was her fault, for being so precious and gorgeous, for not doubting me and trusting me when no one in my realm ever did and looking at me with so innocent and expressive eyes and then managing that smile after so much pain.

So it was completely her fault that I let down the guard and kissed her. In my defence it was just to bring back the pretty colour back to her lips and her cheeks.

I didn't bother whether there were audience or that she just recovered from drowning. I kissed her, a thought that had been like a demon in my mind since I started seeing her more than my job. I felt the shock when my lips touched her but then she relaxed into me surprisingly kissing me back. I felt the softness of her lips, the almost inaudible sigh that escape her mouth when I kissed.

I don't know what she was feeling for the first time, since my own feeling was overwhelming. For that moment I wanted us to be alone and kiss her till she is breathless.

God, I loved this girl to the point of allowing the world to be destroyed and me as a shield just protecting her.