Chapter 21

Clara's POV

Dad and I sat on the side lines as Colby played with the team. He looked comfortable around these guys, more comfortable that with his team at home. I think it is because of what happened a couple of years ago.

Colby was saying something to the quarterback as he lined up to run a route. When Colby caught the ball he had a bright smile on his face. The Alabama Coach came over and he started talking to us.

"Are you the one that taught Colby what he knows?" he asked.

"I just became his Coach his year," Dad said.

The guys finished with fitness sets and the conversation stopped as we watched everyone. Colby was clearly fitter than most of the players there. He jogged over to us once they were finished and joined the three of us.

"How much would you train on average per week?" Coach asked.

"I run every morning. We have training every day after school and I usually stay longer for another two or three hours depending on the day and I sometimes train on the weekend," Colby said.

I knew that Colby trained a lot but I didn't know that it was that much. Even the Coach looked surprised. Some of the players called Colby over and he jogged over to join them.

"Does he train with others?"

"No, he mostly trains alone. It is why his footwork is so good and his fitness. He spends hours out on the field," Dad adds.

Coach nodded and I tuned out of the conversation and my eyes found Colby. He was talking to a couple of other player and I decided to leave Dad and Coach to talk and joined him instead. He smiled slightly at me and wrapped an arm around me. He didn't say anything to me and continued to talk to the other players.

"You will make a good player next year," one of them said.

We talked for another couple of minutes before Dad and Coach called us over. Colby said goodbye to the guys and we headed back to the conversation I had left before.

"After seeing you play I'm pretty sure that you are someone we want on our team next year," Coach told Colby.

I glanced at Colby and he had the brightest smile I had ever seen on his face. He shook the Coach hand and we headed away from the campus. Colby couldn't wipe the smile off his face as we headed back to the motel.

Dad went inside and started watching game film from yesterday but Colby and I decided to go out and do something. We headed towards the park and decided to have fun since no one else was there.

I sat down on one of the swings while Colby climbed up the slide. It was fun to relax for a while and have fun. Colby joined me on the swings a couple of minutes later. He sat on the swing next to me and he started to swing.

"You going to be coming here next year then?" I smiled.

"I can't wait to get away from my family. And this is a good college," he added.

"I'm proud of you and you deserve an opportunity like this," I told him.

He stood up and hugged me tightly and I stood up. I rested my head on his chest for a minute before looking up at him. I stood up on my tip toes and pressed my lips to his. He didn't move for a second but then he tightly wrapped his arms around me.

I pulled back and rested my head back on his chest. He didn't say anything for a couple of minutes and I didn't want to disturb the silence.

"I've never kissed anyone before," he admitted.

I didn't really know what to say to that.

"I'm happy that I am your first kiss," I told him.

We headed back later on Sunday. Colby went and trained with the team again on Sunday but Dad and I didn't go with him. He had official committed to Alabama for next year so that was exciting. He was tired after training and he had fallen asleep not long after we got in the car.

I also knew that he hadn't slept very well last night. I don't know if it was nerves over college or something else. I woke up around three in the morning and I heard him walking around. I didn't know how long he had been awake.

His head was now resting on my lap and I was running my fingers through his hair. Dad was humming alone to the radio and I was looking out the window. The drive was pretty silent but it passed quickly.

I shook Colby awake and he groaned but sat up. I had got so used to his head being on my legs that I missed it. He grabbed his bag from the floor and headed away from the car.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he called over his shoulder.

Dad and I both said goodbye after him and we headed home. Dad ordered takeout and we sat down on the couch and turned on the football. We didn't talk much and I headed to bed not long later.

I got up the next morning and saw that Dad was already up. We headed to school and I saw Colby's motorcycle sitting in the parking lot. I didn't bother looking for him because I knew that he was probably out on the field with his teammates.

I found Paige standing outside her locker. She had a smile on her face and said hello to me when she saw me.

"How was your weekend?" she asked.

"I went to Alabama with Dad and Colby so it was good," I smiled.

"And hot moments?"

"I kissed him."

We both squealed slightly and she hugged me. We didn't get to talk about it much because the bell rang and we both had to head to class. Colby came into Bio a couple of minutes later. We didn't get to talk much because our teacher started lecturing us about something.

I started writing notes and I could see that Colby wasn't listening. It seemed strange that he could get the grades he does without paying any attention. Colby and I didn't spent lunch together as the football team were at another table and I was sitting with my friends.

I sat down and I knew that Paige had told the other two about my kiss with Colby. They all had bright smiles on their faces and I rolled my eyes as I sat down.

"Your boyfriend is one of the hottest guys in the school and now you have kissed him," Stacey teased.

I didn't bite that bait and I just continued to eat. I had told the three of them quite a bit about my relationship with Colby. They knew that he was quiet and reserved but I liked that about him. I think that everyone in this school judged Colby before they got to know him.

We moved on from talking about Colby and started talking about other things. Stacey was telling us about something that happened to her over the weekend. I glanced over at the football team and I saw that Colby was staring off into space.

The bell rang not long after and I said goodbye to my friends. The rest of the day passed quickly and I quickly found myself standing on the field for football training.

"Did you hear about Adam's trip to Florida?" Dad asked.

"No, what happened?" I asked.

"They were quite interested in him but they didn't get him to commit," Dad said.

Adam was a good player and he deserves to make it to a good college but there are a lot of good quarterbacks out there. I don't know if Florida would be the team to get him but someone else definitely would. I was just glad that Colby was going to be going to an amazing college.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One