Chapter 53

Colby's POV

TJ and I had finished training with the other guys and we sat down on the back step.

"It's still bothering you," he commented.

"Yeah. I'll probably head home in a couple of days and try to have a conversation with Clara without me getting angry," I said.

"You and Clara will be fine," he said.

"Thanks."

"Have you talked to Christian?"

"Yeah, I think that he has a lot on his mind at the moment and I think that it is starting to bother him a bit too much. I think that he just needs to keep his mind off it," I said.

He nodded and we both headed inside. The other four were inside, being incredible stupid. I took a seat on the floor and watched Matthew and James chase each other run the room.

"How did this start?" I asked.

"I don't really know," Leon said.

It was nice to have time with the guys but I knew that I had to head home and talk to Clara. I had already packed up so I said goodbye to all the guys. I would see TJ and Christian when they came back to Houston and the other guys said that they would come around at some point.

I had a lot of time to think as I headed back. It was a two and a half hour flight and I was deep in thought the whole time. I almost didn't notice that the plane had landed and that we could get off.

I didn't hang around the airport and I headed home. Once I did I stood in front of front door for a minute. I was pretty sure that Clara wasn't here so I walked in and I was right. The place and dark and empty. In some ways I wanted Clara to be home so I didn't have any more time to think about it.

I had a couple of messages from Clara and for the first time since our fight I checked them. None of them said much but one of them said that she was going to be in home in two days. I didn't bother responding and I left my phone on the bed as I headed back into the kitchen.

I spent the next two days training. It kept me distracted and busy. It meant that I didn't have the time to think about Clara and Alex. I had just finished training and I was drinking a smoothie in the kitchen when the door opened.

Clara looked a little shocked to see me home because I never mentioned when I was going to be home.

"I didn't realise that you were going to be home. I can go if you want," she said.

"No, we need to talk about this," I said.

She took a seat at the table and I leant against one of the chairs.

"I'm sorry. I should have told you," she started.

"Then how come you didn't?" I asked.

"I thought that it wasn't a big deal in college. I should have told you when it came up again but I didn't want you to worry about it."

"Clara. I'm your husband. You can tell me anything and I will still over you," I said.

She nodded and then she started to cry. I moved to kneel beside her and I wrapped her in a tight hug. We stayed like that for a couple of minutes. I didn't want to move because I missed this. Clara and I are always so busy with her work and my football that we don't get to spend much time together.

"I'm really sorry. I blocked his number so I won't have to hear from him again," she said.

"Forget about it and let's move on," I suggested and she nodded.

Clara went into labour on the 1st of June. I don't know how many times she cursed me out during that experience. We sat there with our baby daughter Octavia May Wood. She was in Clara's arms I headed outside to grab our friends.

Jack was here as well as TJ, Christian and some of Clara's friends from work. They saw the bright smile on my face and Christian and TJ both man hugged me. They weren't all allowed in the room at the same time so I let Clara's friends and her Dad in first.

"Who does she look like?" TJ asked as we stood outside.

"I have no idea," I laughed.

We talked for a while before Clara's friends left so we were able to come in. Jack was still there and he hugged me before I took a seat on the edge of Clara's bed. Clara handed me Octavia and I wrapped her in my arms.

"I think that she looks like you," Clara said.

"How can you tell?" I asked.

Everyone in the room laughed at me. I couldn't see it but I didn't really care at the moment. TJ and Christian headed home not long later leaving the three of us.

"Would you have preferred a girl or a boy?" Jack asked me.

"I didn't really care," I said honestly.

I really didn't care. I just wanted a happy kid. After the childhood that I had I couldn't believe I was sitting here. I had a wife that loved me and now a beautiful baby girl.

We headed home and I opened the door to find the guys in our lounge. Most of them hadn't seen Octavia yet so she was passed around everyone. I pushed Clara to sit down and let everyone else move around her.

"I'm never getting pregnant again," she told me.

I just laughed at her because I knew that she wanted at least a second kid.

"I'm being serious," she said but I could stop laughing at her.

"You are so mean to me."

"How can I make it up to you?" I asked sarcastically.

We started talking about the upcoming season. The management had managed to retain a lot of the key players that were at the end of their contract and get a few good looking free agents. We were all hoping to go one step further this year after the heart break of last year.

The guys all left leaving the three of us as a new family. Octavia was already asleep so we were both quiet so that she wouldn't wake. It was different to have a baby in the house but I liked it.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One