Chapter 26

Colby's POV

I woke up on Christmas morning and I couldn't say that I was in a Christmas mood. I didn't feel like dealing with my family. I hadn't talked to my family since my birthday. I went for a light run yesterday and it felt good. It was the length of my usual run and my ankle didn't hurt.

I wasn't going to train until at least next week because it was a lot of quick changing direction and that was going to hurt my ankle more than running. I had set my alarm for my usual running time and changed so that I could go run.

No one was awake yet so I could get out of the house and I was so glad that I could go run again. I missed it. Most people hate to do it but I find it relaxing. Most of the team found it strange but shame on them because I was the one getting drafted by a good college.

Mom was already in the kitchen cooking when I got home. I knew that she had to make a lot of food for everyone but I didn't think that she didn't have to start this early. I didn't say anything to her and I headed back upstairs.

Once I finished showering and changed the rest of my family was downstairs. I hugged Grandma after she wished me Merry Christmas. Adam and Dad were talking about football and Mom was still cooking. The doorbell rang and Adam went to open it like a good child.

In a matter of minutes the lounge was filled with all my family. We had a relatively big family and it made the lounge seem small and loud. Presents started getting given and I noticed that my pile was by far the smallest. None of my family really liked me after what my parents tell them.

Christmas music was play as people started thanking each other for their presents. I opened a couple of books and clothes but nothing that I really wanted. I replied to a text from Clara wishing me Merry Christmas as my Aunt Julia sat down beside me.

"How has your year been?" she asked.

"Not too bad," I said.

It hadn't been that bad really. Only a couple of family argument but other than that it was good.

"I heard that there had been a couple of family arguments," she said.

Like I didn't know that. I really didn't want to talk to her about this. Luckily she moved on a couple of minutes later and the next person to sit down beside me was Grandma.

"I see that you have a new pile of Christmas presents you don't like," she said.

"Yeah but I'm used to it by now. You can go and talk to other people if you want. I'm just going to bring you mood down. I'm not really in a good one," I told her.

She nodded and smiled at me before moving on to talk to someone else. I grabbed one of the boring books and started to read it. It wasn't something that I would usually read but it was more entertaining than anything else here. I don't know how long I was reading for because suddenly I got called to the table.

The whole family was talking to Adam about college next year. Apparently he had officially committed to Florida the other day. He might have mentioned it but I was probably not in the room or not listening.

"What about you Colby? Where are you going next year?" someone asked.

I looked up and saw that everyone was looking at me. Dad never told them about me playing football so I knew they weren't expecting a good college.

"I'm going to Alabama on a football scholarship," I said.

I don't think that anyone expected that.

"Why do they want you? You aren't even that good," someone else asked.

I couldn't believe how many times I have had this conversation. The quarterback wasn't the only valuable player on a football team.