Chapter 49

Colby's POV

Not only did we make the playoffs this year but we were the first seed so secured the first round bye and home field advantage. It felt so different to last year when we were done for the year and had a shitty season.

Everyone was in the locker room after practice and it was a fun atmosphere. One of the running backs had music going and some of the guys were shooting water bottles into the bin. I was lying on my back on the floor. TJ and Blake were talking around me and I was only half listening to the conversation.

We had had a good practice and we had been worked hard by Coach. I sat up and Christian looked at me from across the room and nodded. We silently agreed to head back out onto the field and keep working together.

I grabbed my pads and pulled them back on before following Christian out.

"Who do you think that we are going to play next week?" he asked.

"The Steelers I think. I think that they will win their game this week so we'll play them," I said.

He nodded and we started to warm up again. It didn't take us long because we hadn't finished that long ago before we started working together. Christian was throwing passes to me and I running routes. He got tired after a while but I wanted to keep working.

I started working on my footwork as it got darker. I eventually got hungry and decided to give up so I could go get food. I headed into the now empty locker room and I showered and changed. The rest of my friends were already out there eating and I noticed that Piper had joined us.

"I'm guessing that Coach still doesn't know," I said as I sat down.

They both nodded and looked a little sheepish. I could tell that Coach didn't know because the couple weren't sitting next to each other. We started talking about the start of the playoffs and our picks of who we were going to be playing.

My pick was the Steelers because they were only the sixth seed because they didn't start well and they looked like a really good team towards the end of the season. I don't really care who we play. I just want to win.

I headed home not long later and I found that Clara was already home and I joined her in the kitchen.

"Have you already eaten?" she asked.

I nodded and offered her help. She refused it but I was pretty sure that that was going to happen. We started talking about football playoffs.

"Are you going to play anyone that you know?" she asked.

"I might play Leon from the Steelers next round. James and the Cardinals made the playoffs but the Saints didn't again so I won't have to worry about Adam," I said.

She laughed because she knew just how much it would annoy me if Adam got a Super Bowl before me. I wouldn't mind but he and my parents would rub it in and tell me how shit I was and I really wanted to avoid that.

"Where's the Super Bowl?" she asked.

"Indianapolis," I said.

We moved on from talking about football. We had both agreed to not find out what gender we were having before they were born and I knew that it was annoying a lot of our friends and family. They wanted to know more than we did.

"Playoff Football," someone called as we headed into the locker room.

We were ready for our first game against the Steelers. It was going to be a good game and we were hoping for a win. Coach had a couple of final things to say before we headed back out and stood in the tunnel. Even in there you could hear and crowd and it was the loudest I have ever hear it.