Part One | Prologue

Any copying or stealing will be held as an illegal matter and will be reported. Don't take my stuff and you won't get in trouble. Thank you.
Copyrighted. © (2015)

Splinters is a Two Part book in a Three Book Series known as the First Love Series.
Book One: Run: The Father (Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
Book Two: Splinters: The Son (Part 1 and Part 2)
Book Three: Keep in Happiness: The Best Friend

Book One posted.
Book Two posted.
Book Three not posted.

You do not need to read Book One to understand Splinters: Part 1 and Part 2. 

...

Splinters: Part One

Philip Larkin said, "They mess you up, your Mom and Dad. They may not mean to, but they do. They fill you with the faults they had. And add some extra, just for you." 

My brother used to call the bad parts of his life his Splinters. They're inside him, and only time will remove them. For now, he tries to ignore them, but they still hurt.

It was simply another day in my writing class when the topic of a reflective essay was brought up. Millions of ideas went through my head all at once, so many that it was hard to make a solid decision.

Naturally, the first thing to come to mind was when I lost my hearing. After all, that was my most realistic choice. But after creating an outline and figuring out exactly what I'd want to write a full eight pages about, my brother came into my room asking if I wanted to go watch a movie with him.

I stared at him, the living proof of what my reflective essay could be about: when I met my brother and how his life and his personality impacted me.

I ripped the paper I'd originally begun apart, not sparing the shreds a second thought. I glanced at him and asked, "Can I write about you?"

He stood in my doorway, a little surprised at first. I wondered if he was trying to understand what I was asking, if the words I'd meant to say had come out sounding the way they should.

"What for?" he inquired.

"Essay."

He shrugged. "Sure."

That one careless action and that simple word of approval started something I never dreamed of doing. The ten page essay about my brother (which was supposed to be eight) was only meant for a grade, an A+ at most. Little did I know it would be become so much more than that.

After my teacher submitted my essay into a national young writer's contest, the story went viral before viral was a thing. My essay ended up being featured into a semi-popular magazine, the small story of my brother's life packed into a few paragraphs became such an interesting narrative that people wanted more.

My family and I were at dinner when the thought of a bigger project came into consideration.

I remember my brother laughing, nodding his head. "Imagine writing a whole book about that time in my life, then things would really go nuts."

And so I did. After countless of interviews with him and one after the other all-nighters writing, I've written an entire book about my brother. He was also the first to read it. The smile on his face when he finished the last page will forever be engraved in my memory. I will never forget how accomplished I felt that very moment.

So to all of you who don't know the real story of Brayden Palmer Pierson, here you are.

I love you, Brayden. You're the best brother anyone can ask for. Here's to you.

Edaline