Part One | 29

Chapter 29

Sweethearts

As the week of school began to pass by, every announcement made would be the same. It was said so many times that I knew it by heart now.

"Constance Cats! The Sweethearts Dance is this Saturday from 7:00 o'clock to 11:00 o'clock! Boys, suits must be worn properly. No crazy outfits! Girls, dresses must be worn appropriately. Nothing too short, too revealing, too long, or too distracting. Make sure that you have twenty dollars to get in!"

And when Saturday almost finally came, Collie and I were making sure our plans were set.

"I wish I could drive so that I could go and pick you up," I said guiltily.

Collie popped a grape into her mouth. "Don't worry about it. I like that I'm the one with the car. It makes us unique as a couple."

I was about to reply at her cheesy response, but Zech budded in.

"You don't have a car, Pierson?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "What's it to you?"

He shrugged. "Ah, nothin', just that you're sixteen and you probably haven't even gotten your permit."

I rolled my eyes at him. Melissa had put me in a program where Ursa and I could get our permits and then our licenses quickly. "And you do?"

He smirked. "As a matter of fact, I do."

I frowned. Of course Zech would have his license. Just another thing he's got that I don't. But I still win anyways. I'm the one who has Collie.

"It doesn't matter, Brayden. Seriously," Collie assured.

"It's a little embarrassing," Zech admitted. "I'd hate to be the only Junior who doesn't have my license. Why don't you have it?"

"C'mon, Zech," Andrew said quietly.

"No, no," Zech put a hand to his face, not even giving him a glance. "Seriously. What's the deal, Pierson? You scared to drive?"

I grit my teeth. "No."

"Drop it, Zech," Collie warned forcefully.

I looked down at my food, suddenly feeling really embarrassed.

"Alright, alright." He held up his hands and sat up straight.

I played with the left over spaghetti that Melissa had made the night prior. It was really good, but I just couldn't stomach it at the moment.

Collie nudged me before whispering in my ear. "Wanna go eat outside?"

I turned my head, looking at her. "It's probably cold," I said lowly, making sure Zech wouldn't be able to hear. I could feel his eyes on us as he carefully tried to read our lips.

She shook her head. "Better than sitting here."

I bit my lip before agreeing. We both repacked our lunches and left the table. No one asked us where we were going, even though I knew a good amount of them wanted to know. The best part was knowing that Zech would probably be wracking his brain on what we were doing because we won't return at all for the rest of the lunch.

Collie and I chose our usual table outside and surprisingly, it wasn't that cold. We both sat down and began eating again.

"Anyways, so come by around..."

"Six."

"Where do you want to eat?"

"Where do you want to eat? Wait..." She smiled at me as I raised an eyebrow. "Panda," I guessed.