Part One | 2

Chapter 2

Memories of a Red Towel

Four Months Later...

After months and months of sleepovers, individual and family interviews and house visits from CPS, and a final look-over of Melissa and Greg's records; and then a final check of the house and all, everything was set for adoption. At some point, I found out that Melissa and Greg had been searching for a boy for two years and haven't found the "right fit". It sounded cruel, especially because I'd rather a seven year old boy be adopted than me. I could fend off for myself, but for some particular reason, I was chosen. It didn't make much sense to me.

This time, it was particularly difficult to say no on my end. I was especially more hesitant once I met Greg and Melissa's five daughters. I got along with them so well from the beginning, and with every visit I felt more and more comfortable with everyone. It was so strange. I'd never felt anything like it before. 

I was packing my things when Jo and Riley entered my room. Riley was thirteen. He had just been sent back to St. Anne's after his foster father had struck him in a fit of rage. The bruise surrounding his cheek was much better than it was a week ago.

I felt bad for him. He was really charismatic and families liked him a lot. Something always happened, though, and he'd be sent back here. The cycle never stopped. 

"So, you're leaving today?" Jo asked me, leaning against the door frame with her arms crossed. I could only see her from the corner of my eye from where I was standing.

Stuffing all my clothes into a duffle bag, I reached over for the most important thing of all, the New York Mets cap my father gave me so many years ago, I nodded. "Yeah."

"And you're like... staying?" 

I sighed, turning around and facing them both. "I hope so."

"Don't forget us, okay?" Riley encouraged with a small voice.

I frowned, shaking my head slowly. "'Course not."

Josephine looked at her feet. I hated leaving her. She needed me. In that moment, I promised myself I'd be back. I'd come see her all the time. There's no way I'd abandon her.

I advanced towards the two sadly and wrapped my arms around them. "I won't forget you guys. Ever."

I stepped back after a few seconds. 

"When will they be here?" Jo asked.

"An hour or so."

They both nodded. We all stood together, saying nothing. I couldn't help but think that it should be them leaving, not me. It should be them having a family, having parents as great as Melissa and Greg. It should be them having so many siblings and a chance at a normal life. 

Suddenly, Mrs. Armstrong called Riley and Josephine down to lunch. When they left, I took one long last look at my room. The walls were plain and tan. The floor was a pale wood, a creak with every step. I turned around and stared at my twin-sized bed and the sailboat covers I'd had since as long as I could remember. I'd lived her for years. Half a year ago, I'd never believe it if someone said I'd have a room bigger than this someday. 

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be happy or sad. Happy that now I can have a real family or sad that the family I have now is losing one member and staying broken as they have always been, waiting for a couple or foster family to take them in.

"Hey."

The voice I hadn't heard in so long made my stomach drop. I spun around to see the man himself, Jake.