Part One | 5

Chapter 5

Ignorance

I sat alone at my own table, eating a PBJ sandwich. Ursanne had asked me to sit with her, but I declined. The whole day had been a drag. I didn't want to get up early in the morning and I didn't want to go to Constance. I didn't want to feel bad about hating my new life because I knew that I was privileged to be given something barely any orphans get: to have a family. I hated the work and I hated the people. I just hated everything.

People stared at me and they whispered among themselves about why I was suddenly Ursanne's brother. They joked about me being a Pierson sometimes, and I didn't understand why.

"Collie! What are you doing?" I heard someone shout.

I was shocked to feel someone sitting next to me.

"Hey." I heard the cheery sound of Collie's voice greet.

I glanced at her uncomfortably. "Um, hi."

"Why are you sitting alone?"

I shrugged.

She leaned forward, trying to get me to look into her eyes. "Is... everything all right?"

I didn't answer her, but instead kept my eyes on my sandwich. 

Collie sighed. "It's your sister, huh."

I was suddenly overwhelmed with guilt. I wanted to talk to her and I wanted to tell her that I really liked her, but that I cared more about having a family.

"I get it. Ursanne's family and you can't betray that."

I finally lifted my head to look at her. "If I had a choice..." I looked away. "I wouldn't pick a side."

She tilted her head. "You do have a choice, though, don't you? Ursanne doesn't own you or anything."

I laughed sort of. "You don't get it."

"What's there to get? Aren't you older than her? Why are you letting her tell you what to do?"

"Ursanne's not just my sister," I mumbled, picking at the crust.

"She's not your mom either." Collie was quiet for a moment. "Besides, what am I doing harm to? No one. I'm simply making you feel welcome."

I didn't reply.

"Has she, um, told you things about me?" She began tugging at a loose thread on her uniform skirt. 

"Um... I just know that you're not very nice to her." I finally admitted, sitting up straight and looking into her eyes.

She was stunned to say the least. 

My voice was firm as I told her the truth. "I can't be friends with someone who isn't nice to my sister."

She put her hand on my arm which made me feel a little weird... Nervous...

"It's different with Ursanne, Brayden. We just don't get along. But you and I do, right?"

I pressed my lips together and looked away, taking another bite of my sandwich.

"How 'bout this? How 'bout Ursanne doesn't have to know that we're friends? That way, she won't get hurt."

I was mortified. "Lie to Ursanne?"

"If you think about it, you're not necessarily lying," Collie cooed. "But instead, you're just... doing an experiment, let's say."

"I don't know..."

"Would you rather eat all by yourself every day or have a friend?"

I was silent as I contemplated over the idea. After a minute or two, she left the table and I barely noticed, too deep in thought about her suggestion. Later on in the day, I was finally situated in my classes. The second to last one I had was Physical Education, something I wasn't very familiar with at St. Anne's.