Chapter One

Today was the worst day of my life. Why? Because today was the day I got my first detention. And I was absolutely furious about it. If Carmelita hadn't have tested me, if she hadn't pushed me just far enough, I wouldn't have snapped and I wouldn't be facing a week's worth of after school detention. The whole situation was completely unfair but who came out of it smelling like roses? Carmelita Spats of course.

I stormed out of English and into the bustling corridor, already late for my next lesson. I cursed under my breath and tried to push through the crowd as best I could. But it was no use. The next bell rang before I was even close to the door of my math class and I sighed. Luckily enough, our teacher wasn't there yet so I didn't have to face another detention. One a day was bad enough.

I scribbled on the page of my book, not taking anything else in, not even when our teacher arrived to start the lesson. I was stressed. Really stressed. I had never had a detention before. What did you even do in detention? And what would my parents say? That was the thing I was most worried about. How was I meant to tell them that their perfect daughter had got in trouble? Sure they were used to Duncan and Quigley getting detentions and suspensions for ridiculous things but me, no way. This would come as a shock. The idea of telling them made me feel sick to my stomach.

I tried to push through the lesson, knowing it was the last one before lunch where I could vent to Lily and she could help me think of a way to get out of this. Lily was good at that.

After an eternity and a half, the bell rang and I was the first one out of the door. I practically sprinted to the cafeteria, and sat down at my usual table. Lily was quick to follow and started going off on a tangent, a common trait of hers, about this that and the other before I'd even had the chance to say hello. I didn't have the time for that today.

"Lily!" I interrupted her halfway through her personal discussion about puffer fish.

She paused and her eyes went wide. "What's wrong? You usually love hearing about marine life."

"I need your help," I whined, "I'm in trouble and I don't know what to do."

"Well what happened?"

"Carmelita was being annoying-"

"As she always is."

"-and I'd had enough-"

"Haven't we all?"

"-and I threw a bottle at her head."

"And- you what?!" Lily exclaimed.

"It was a plastic one!" I insisted, seeing her shocked expression. "And it was empty!"

Suddenly she broke out into a smirk. "Where did you hit her?"

"What? Does it matter? I'm in so-"

"Of course it matters! Where did you hit her?"

"Her forehead..." I said quietly.

"Nice shot!" Lily high-fived me.

"It's not a good thing!" I hissed at her. I couldn't believe she couldn't see how bad this was. "What are my parents gonna say?"

"Pfft, they won't find out."

"They bloody will find out when I'm in detention instead of on the bus home!"

Her face fell. "Oh. I didn't think of that."

Lily knew how strict my parents were. She had been around to my house countless times and witnessed it for herself, although she was too polite to come out and say it. When my brothers used to act out they would be grounded for at least a month, their favourite belongings were taken away and they lost their movie night privileges. Just thinking about that happening to me was enough to send me into a panic, and as much as I liked my phone, the idea of having to watch Duncan and Quigley's movie choices for a month was a way worse punishment.

"Hold on!" said Lily, breaking me out of my internal crisis. "I've got an idea!"

"What is it?"

"So picture this: you go to your detention all nice and calm. Why? Because I'm on the bus to your house wearing a wig."

I huffed, "No Lily," as she started to cackle. Her jokes were crap but that was part of the reason we were best friends. Now, however, was not the time to be joking.

She read the mood and wiped a stray tear from her eye. "Okay not that. Just say you're at a club."

"What sort of club, though? You know they'll ask."

Lily thought for a second before clicking her fingers and saying, "Poetry club! Just say you have a newfound interest in poetry."

I nodded slowly. "Yeah... yeah that could probably work. You're a genius!"

We ate our lunch and I texted my mum about the club. She didn't reply straight away so I put my phone away and just tried to enjoy the rest of my lunch stress free. Lily went back to her story about puffer fish and I tried my best to pay attention this time.

"Oh my god, I just thought," Lily said out of the blue, making me glad that I had actually been listening so I could recognise the topic change.

"What is it?"

"Do you think you'll have detention alone?"

I hadn't thought about that and now that I was, it brought a horrible feeling into my stomach. I had hoped it would just be me in a classroom for an hour; I could deal with that. But what if I had company? What if-

"What if Klaus is there?" Lily read my mind and together we glanced across the cafeteria to where a boy sat alone, dressed almost entirely in black.

"I hope not," I gulped. Klaus Baudelaire was bad news. The Baudelaire's in general were bad news. And as much as I hoped that he wouldn't have a detention, it was common knowledge that he had one just about everyday. That's what happens when you turn up to every single lesson late.

Lily shrugged. "Maybe he's not as bad as people think. Maybe he's secretly hot and brooding... like a vampire!"

"Bit far fetched."

"What if you get to detention and he shows you his fangs!"

I sighed. "He's not a vampire, Lily, God."

"Okay," she said, "But wouldn't that be cool?"

"I guess?" I said it just to please her and although she knew that she still smirked like she'd achieved something.

"Even if he's not a vampire," she said, "I'm sure he's still interesting. And I bet he's one of those people who're really nice when you get to know them."

"He looks like he's constantly five minutes away from committing a murder."

"Aren't we all?" was Lily's response.

I rolled my eyes and we tore our eyes away from that mysterious Baudelaire boy. It didn't matter if he was in my detention or not. It wasn't like we had to talk or anything.  That thought put my mind at ease and I finally had a chance to eat and relax fully before my final lesson and first ever detention took place. I just prayed the afternoon went quick.

-

Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of Detention! What do you think of this sort of AU? Updates will be every Monday at 8pm GMT.

-heytherebro12 <3