Chapter Thirty Nine

One of the worst things to wake up to is the sound of someone shouting, especially if it's then followed by silence. You end up scared out of your wits and then frozen, waiting for whatever is next. Or, in my case, fearing the worst and wondering if someone had fallen down the stairs and was now paralysed into tranquility.

That was my exact reaction when I was startled awake. Grabbing my phone, it read 02:24 and I sighed. Will I get a single hour of peaceful sleep tonight? I thought to myself. But despite my frustrations, I was still curious about what had woken me up. Someone had shouted, that was for sure, but I couldn't figure out why.

I pushed myself off of the bed, trying not to remind myself where I was and who it belonged to, and crept to the door, turned the lock and then peered out into the hallway. Klaus stumbled out of the guest room across the hall and slammed on the light switch. Everything instantly became illuminated and I squinted until my eyes adjusted.

"What the hell are you playing at?" Klaus hissed, and it was only when I pushed myself out of the door more that I noticed Carmelita and Caitlin standing in the hallway as well, backing away from Klaus and each holding buckets.

"S-sorry," Caitlin stuttered, to my surprise, "we didn't know it was you."

"Get your stuff and leave," Klaus demanded, "Now."

There was no other conversation to be had and Caitlin and Carmelita rushed down the stairs, doing what they were told for the first time in their lives.

"Are you okay?" I asked quietly, and Klaus' head snapped towards me as though he hadn't noticed I was watching until I spoke. Then I realised he didn't have his glasses on and his reaction made sense.

His face softened and he nodded. "Yeah, just soaked. They decided to throw a bucket of water over me."

"I'm sorry," I replied.

Klaus opened the door to a closet and grabbed a towel, before using it on his face and head. It resulted in his hair sticking out in a directions, a bit like if he had been struck by lightning, and I tried my best to not look too amused. Despite his calm tone with me, I figured he was at least irritated on the inside and I didn't want to make it worse by laughing.

"It's fine," he said, "it's not your fault."

"It was meant for me though," I insisted.

Klaus shrugged and stepped past me. "I'm gonna change quickly."

I left him to it and went to inspect the damage in the guest room. As soon as I stepped in, I almost slipped due to how much water was on the floor. Before Klaus and I had swapped and I was set to be sleeping in that room, I had put my bag and other belongings on a chair that sat near the bed. And now, I was extremely glad I hadn't just dumped it on the floor, as the area from the door to the bed was almost completely covered.

I tried my best to tiptoe around it and made it to the bed. The covers were heavy with soaked up water and when I pressed down on the mattress it acted like a sponge. Everything in sight was sodden and damp.

I edged around the water again to get a towel for the floor but, as I was passing, I slowed down outside of Violet's room and pressed an ear to the door. To my astonishment, I didn't register anything but silence.

"Are you okay?" Klaus asked, shocking me out of my skin.

"How did they not get woken up?" I asked. If I had heard Klaus shout from across the hall, they definitely should've heard it from next door. 

Klaus seemed amused. "Because Violet's the heaviest sleeper in the world and snores like a steam train. Her friends are used to it by now but they still bring earbuds so they can all stay in the same room."

"Makes sense," I commented, and then we both got towels and began mopping up the mess that Carmelita and Caitlin had created. Although I was glad they were finally gone, I felt bad that it took a prank at Klaus' expense to get rid of them. He didn't seem too bothered though, except for his initial outburst, and focused on getting everything cleaned up.

When we were done, we stepped back and surveyed our work.

"I think the mattress is ruined," Klaus said and I instantly felt the guilt build up. Maybe I should've made an excuse to leave after Lily did, I thought to myself, then Carmelita and Caitlin wouldn't have had anyone to prank.

As if he knew I was about to start apologising again, Klaus glanced over and said, "I'm not blaming you. It's alright." Then he sighed. "It's late, you should go back to sleep."

I shook my head. "I'm not tired but thanks. You can... have your bed back." I mentally cursed as I felt my face flush.

"I'm not tired either," Klaus replied, surprisingly chipper. "We should go on a walk."

"A walk?" I blurted out.

"If we head a few streets over there's a lady who leaves food out for all the stray cats. Violet and I used to go see them sometimes," he explained, "It'll be fun, I promise."

It was a bit of a crazy idea. It was freezing outside and we were both in our pyjamas. Not to mention, if Violet woke up for whatever reason and realised we were both gone, along with Carmelita and Caitlin, she would probably think they kidnapped us. But despite it all, I found myself agreeing. Even though I hadn't slept much, all the commotion had made me wide awake, so I figured a walk would be more fun than just sitting on my phone until the sun came up.

Klaus put a hoodie over his clothes and, when he realised I didn't have one, gave me one to put on as well. I noticed it was the same one he had lent me last time and smiled at the familiarity.

Then we set off into the darkness, at 3am, just to go and see some cats.

A/N: Klaus is a cat person, change my mind.

There was more to this chapter but it ended up being super, super long so I split it in two, sorry :)))) 

Also idk if any of yous use twitch but I've literally been watching streams every night and it's so bad. I'm currently running on 4 hours of sleep because I got distracted watching a stream whoops.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! And, as always, thanks for all the support!

See you in the next one ❤️