Chapter Four

Hey guys, I'm really sorry this chapter is so late. I wasn't happy with it the first time I wrote it so I deleted it and did it all again and then I still wasn't happy with it. In the end I decided to just wait and not post it on Monday like I was meant to. I would much rather take the time to make a good chapter instead of putting out anything and regretting it afterwards. Anyway, next Monday's chapter should be on time if everything goes to plan. I hope you enjoy this chapter!

*

"Mum?"

She certainly wasn't someone I was expecting to see outside of school, waiting for me. Usually, I just walked home or got the bus. She hadn't picked me up from school for years, which was why it surprised me so much when I spotted her car. I narrowed my eyes suspiciously. There must be a reason to this impromptu visit.

I yanked the car door open to be blasted by both the heater and Andre Rieu. I had no idea why my mum insisted on playing his music everywhere we went (there were a lot better artists to drive to) but today I didn't complain. Instead, I just waited for her to explain what was going on.

"Good day?" She asked, turning the key in the ignition and bringing the car to life.

I nodded even though she wasn't looking in my direction. "Yeah it was okay. Lots of homework to do."

"Ah," was her response before we fell into a belt of silence. My mother drove, I picked at the hem of my skirt. I wanted to ask why she was there but I didn't want to sound rude. Was there a non-rude way to ask that sort of question?

I thought for a bit before coming out with, "I was surprised to see you when I came out of school." It wasn't a lie.

She laughed to herself, although it didn't sound cheerful, eyes never straying from the road. "Can a mother not pick her daughter up from school?"

That was my cue to be quiet. I would have to figure out her ulterior motives on my own, without any hints. Hard mode. It was only when I  recognised the scenery outside that I started to pay attention to whereabouts we were. We had arrived at our local supermarket. So that's why my mum had kidnapped me after school. My brothers hated going shopping and my dad was still at work so here I was, being the only option left. My mum turned to me with a smile and I groaned.

"Don't make those ugly noises, Isadora. I know you secretly love shopping with me."

I didn't bother answering so she threw a reusable plastic bag at me and we got going. It was the same as always: I pushed the cart and she read off the never ending list and we didn't deviate from the list at all, which was what made shopping not fun. Then we went back to the car, put our shopping inside and drove home. It was a boring afternoon, and certainly not the sort of thing I wanted to be doing when my free time was already cut down with my detention. Sure, I had got my homework done so i could just relax once we were home, but I still couldn't help but feel frustrated.

Soon our street came into view and I perked up, grateful to finally be home, aka my favourite place. I leapt out of the car as soon as my mum put it in park, much to her annoyance. She was about to tell me off when she met eyes with somebody down the street. I turned and tried to figure out who it was but it wasn't hard. My mother was glaring towards a particular house, one that stood out amongst all of the stark white and magnolia ones that came before it. That house, of course, belonged to the Baudelaires, and even if my mother wasn't shooting evils towards it, you would definitely be able to tell. It was a shock of black that sat at the end of our road and, although the Baudelaires were extremely wealthy, there was something about the house that made it look run down and damaged. To an outsiders point of view it might even seem abandoned. That is, if you removed the three expensive cars that were parked in front of it. 

The person my mother was directing her poisonous gaze at was none other than Mrs Baudelaire, who was delivery an equally icy reception. I nudged my mothers elbow and started to unload the shopping and, after one last glare, she turned and helped me. 

"Stupid Baudelaires," she muttered under her breath and I rolled my eyes. She said the same thing every time she saw a member of their family and it had got old a long time ago.

Quigley and Duncan met us at the front door, seeming like they wanted to help, but really they were just there to torment me about how I had to go shopping and they didn't. I told them to shut up, only to be told off and have them giggle at me from behind our mother's back.

"So, boys, good day at school?"

"Business as usual," said Duncan while Quigley nodded. 

Quigley poked me in the arm and said, "So where have you been?"

"Snogging boys again?" added Duncan.

I hit him. "No, idiot-"

"Isadora," my mother warned.

"-I was at school... doing school things."

"School things?" They both mused.

My mother shook her head at their teasing. "Your sister has started attending poetry club"

"Poetry club?" said Duncan, wrinkling his nose. Him and Quigley shared a look before glancing back at me. I shook my head at them. They didn't say anything else.

It was only after dinner that they brought it up again, but this time we were upstairs and they were hanging out in my room.

"So..." Quigley began, "care to tell us what poetry club is about?"

"Poetry, obviously, are you some sort of idiot?" 

"You're calling me an idiot? Isadora, if you really wanted to sneak around and deal in shady business, why didn't you just say you were at a club that actually exists?"

I huffed. "I don't know. Lily came up with it."

"Well Lily's an idiot too then," Quigley replied.

"Hey! Don't-"

"So what are you up to?" Duncan interjected. "Why are you being all sneaky?"

"I'm not being sneaky, I just..." I trailed off, only to find their eyes trained on me expectantly. I took a deep breath. "I got a weeks detention."

The room fell silent. They were disappointed in me, I knew they would be. They were disappointed that their sister, the one who was usually good and followed the rules, had now chosen to break them. At least that was what I thought until the two of them looked at each other and burst out laughing.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Quigley asked at the same time as Duncan said, "What did you get it for?"

I decided to ignore Quigley, as I usually did when it came to things like this. 

"I threw a water bottle at Carmelita Spats..."

"That was you? Good job!" Quigley said, high-fiving me.

Duncan looked deep in thought, "But doesn't she have even more reason to be mean to you now?"'

"She's mean to everyone," I replied, "and I was angry, in the moment, and it just happened. I shouldn't have done it."

"What do you mean, shouldn't have done it?" Exclaimed Quigley. "Just wait until the gaming club hears about this. You'll be their hero!"

"Just don't tell Mum and Dad okay?" I pleaded with them.

They smiled at me in sync.

"Of course," said Duncan with a reassuring smile.

"Hmm, we'll have to see..." Quigley said jokingly before grinning and agreeing. "Your secret's safe with us!"

"You'd better actually write some poems though," said Duncan, all of a sudden. "You know how nosey Mum and Dad are... they'll probably want to see some."

I nodded, "Got it! Thanks for your help!" 

As soon as they left my room, I threw open my notebook and tried to think of something to write down. What could my first poem be about? I zoned out without writing anything and then decided to just ask Lily for help tomorrow. If there was anything she was good at, it was being creative. I would put her wild ideas to good use.