Chapter Twenty

Klaus grabbed the key off the desk and before I knew it we were gone, the classroom door was locked, and we were halfway to the canteen. We were about to put this plan into motion. Although, I realised as I was thinking it over, what even was the plan? Klaus had only said syrup, not what we were doing with it. Nevertheless, I followed him quietly, nervous to make too much noise in case there were any other teachers there that could hear us and question us about what we were up to. 

"You do realise it'll probably be locked," I muttered as we approached our location.

Klaus ignored me and instead answered by pushing the very- unlocked door open, to my surprise.

"Wow, they're really irresponsible."

Klaus scoffed, "Yeah, tell me about it."

We wasted no time and headed straight for the kitchen area, which was separated from the rest of the room by a stainless steel counter. I was about to look for a door or hatch when Klaus took it upon himself to just hop over the counter.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, "You can't do that! That's so unhygienic!"

But I was immediately made a hypocrite as, after failing to find a better way in, I begrudgingly followed his lead and slid myself across the countertop.

Klaus had already found what we were looking for, which meant I had gone against my words for no reason, so we hopped back across and left straight away before anyone had a chance to catch us there red handed. 

Equipped with two squeezy bottles of syrup, Klaus beelined to Carmelita's locker, which was easily recognisable because of the giant diamante letters spelling her name, that she had proudly got her cronies to hot glue onto the front.  Then Klaus paused, as if unsure what to do next. Maybe he hadn't thought this through either?

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I said, stopping to stand next to him.

"Not backing out already, are you?" 

I shook my head slightly. "No, no... I was just thinking if maybe there's a better way to do this..."

"Such as?"

"Maybe if we just talk to her-"

Klaus cut me off. "Talk to her? This is Carmelita we're talking about. I highly doubt she'll give you the time of day."

"Maybe not me," I said quietly, "But what about you?"

Klaus frowned. "What about me?"

"I don't know!" I exclaimed, "I just thought she was scared of you and Violet. But these days it seems she just runs riot without a care in the world."

"Violet can't put her in place right now... her and Carmelita have a mutual friend. It would be awkward, you know?" Klaus shrugged as if everyone had issues with having too many friends. I couldn't relate.

"And what about you?" I asked, eyeing him carefully, "What's your excuse?"

"I'm helping you right now, aren't I? Now less talk, let's just do this," Klaus said, his words acting as a guillotine for that conversation. I didn't bother trying to revive it and instead just dropped it. We were here and it was now or never. I shouldn't have been second guessing getting back at someone as awful as Carmelita.

Without warning, Klaus stuck the nozzle of the syrup bottle into the slot at the top of Carmelita's locker as best he could and then began squeezing. The majority of it seemed to just ooze back out and drip down the front, making a huge mess. At least it smelled nice compared to what Carmelita did to my locker. She would just find all of her books and belongings incredibly sticky.