Chapter Forty Two

The next morning, I felt groggy to say the least. My little afternoon nap had felt nice at the time but had meant I hadn't been able to sleep properly when night came around. There was nothing I could do about it now though, as it was a brand new week and I had to get ready for school.

I still hadn't answered Lily's questions which resulted in her thinking I was dead, and spamming my phone all night. In the end, at about eleven o'clock, I gave up and messaged her, telling her I would explain everything today. That hadn't completely appeased her but it had, at the very least, stopped my phone from pinging every few seconds. 

I hadn't intentionally kept everything a secret, I just hadn't known what to say. I knew she would ask about Klaus, because she always did, but I hadn't really figured out how I would explain things. I knew that as soon as I mentioned us kissing, she would go into a frenzy and be excited and then confused when I told her the aftermath: an awkward morning that made me assume the worst. And there were some things that were hard to explain over text, such as certain facial expressions and the like, so I wanted to discuss things with her in person.

I showered, got dressed and had breakfast- my normal routine- before heading to school.

As I got closer, I couldn't help the pit that opened up in my stomach. How would things be with Klaus? Sure, we didn't have any lessons together but we would still see each other around the place. I didn't even know if we were considered friends, let alone anything more. Were we going to act like nothing happened that night or... what?

I forced myself to stop thinking about it and instead focused on finding my best friend. There was no point in me agonising over the same facts in my head when I was about to pick them apart with Lily anyway.

I spotted her by her locker, which was easy since she was wearing electric blue, and headed straight over.

"Lily!" I called when I was a few metres away.

Her head snapped in my direction and then she threw herself at me.

"You scared me, stupid!" she shouted, gaining the unwanted attention of some of the other students, "Why didn't you text me back!"

"Sorry," I said, "I hope you're feeling better."

Then, to my surprise, she burst out laughing. She almost doubled over cackling to herself, while I just stood there in confusion. Then she wiped an amused tear from her eye and her face settled into a very content smile.

"Was I that good?" she jested, "Watch out Angelina Jolie."

"What are you on about?"

Lily smiled again. "Do you really think I would miss out on Violet's sleepover because of some sweets? I know I've got a sensitive stomach but give me some credit."

I frowned as I tried to piece the situation together. "So you weren't sick?"

"I mean I felt a bit icky, but definitely not enough to go home. It kinda sucks that I missed the sleepover but it's all for the cause."

I was drawing blanks again and Lily huffed and continued. "Come on, Isadora, it's not that hard to understand. Think about it. Me and you would've hung out all night if I was there, so take me out of the equation and what happens? Violet's busy with her other friends and you're sure as hell not going to voluntarily hang out with the gruesome twosome. So who's left?"

It finally made sense to me. "So you're saying you missed out on a sleepover you were excited about all week just so Klaus and I would be forced to hang out?" 

Lily nodded.

"You're insane," I concluded.

"Did it work, though?" she asked excitedly. I didn't really know how to answer that.

I decided on: "Yes and no."

Lily gasped. "Well that's at least half good! Tell me everything!"

I began to fill her in, starting with what happened after I got off the phone with her and ending with when I got home yesterday. She was extremely animated throughout and I had to clamp my hand over her mouth before I told her that Klaus and I kissed, which was a necessary precaution as she almost screamed. By the end she was practically buzzing with excitement.

"So you guys are dating now, right?"

"No, things are weird between us, remember?"

"But he wanted to ask you out. Wasn't that what Violet said?"

I sighed. "She suspected that would happen but it didn't. He must've changed his mind... or maybe he didn't want to at all and Violet was wrong."

"He probably just chickened out," Lily suggested, "You probably made him nervous!"

"How'd I make HIM nervous? He kissed me first! I didn't initiate anything," I bickered back. "Maybe I'm a bad kisser and he changed his mind," I said more quietly.

"Absolutely not!" Lily exclaimed before assuming what I guessed was a power stance. "I bet you were so good he got starstruck and forgot what he was going to say!"

I shook my head but couldn't be bothered to argue about it anymore. That, and the last bell had just rang and we were late to our lesson. Lily announced that we would continue our discussion at lunch and I agreed, despite not really having anything left to talk about. 

Lily could disagree with me all she wanted, but she wasn't there. While I appreciated her trying to cheer me up, I couldn't stop replaying what had happened. Klaus hadn't seemed starstruck in the slightest, he just seemed regretful.

I hurried to my class, heading past the main entrance of the school to get to the right classroom. As I was going past, Klaus was walking in, doing his usual thing of being just about late. Since we only saw each other for a second, I didn't have time to decide if I would say hi or not. However, although it was only a brief moment, I didn't miss the fact that he avoided my eyes.

My heart sank. Even though I had thought Lily was wrong anyway, witnessing Klaus' disinterest in me in person made me even more dejected. His actions cemented things that had only been suspicions before. 

He thought our kiss was a mistake. I was starting to agree.

A/N: Oops I don't mean to keep writing lowkey sad chapters but trust me when I say it has to happen! Things will brighten up soon... maybe 👀

I posted an announcement about it but I wanted to say it again on here, thank you for all of the support recently. You guys are so lovely and your messages were really nice to read. I'm feeling a lot better now which is good. I don't think it was covid or anything, just a bad cold and I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to feeling ill. Thank you for not being too mad about me taking over a weeks break, I think it really helped me to not have to worry about anything and just focus on feeling better. So yeah, thank you so much!

It goes without saying but Black Lives Matter, not just now but always. The things that are going on in the world right now are sickening and I can't believe that we are still protesting and fighting for literal human rights. It's insane to me that some people think that the colour of someone's skin determines whether they deserve rights and respect or not. I've been signing petitions and donating and I hope you've been doing the same! If you're not able to donate for whatever reason, please stream this video: https://youtu.be/bCgLa25fDHM All of the adsense money will be donated so please watch it and make sure you don't skip any of the ads! In the description of the video there are links to several petitions for you to sign as well so please go and do so if you haven't already. 

Thank you ❤