Chapter Thirteen

I'm still in shock when we arrive at the house. My lips are swollen from our kiss and I have no idea what to think about any of this. There is no way I can rationalize this in my head. The only thing I can come up with is that Dominic is a psychopath womanizer who takes pleasure in making elaborate schemes to win the hearts of insecure mediocre women, only to break them when he gets bored. This is obviously far fetched but it's slightly more believable than him wanting to be with me.

Dominic comes around to open my door and leads me into the house, hand on the small of my back. When we get in front of the door to my room he leans down and places his soft lips to my forehead.

"I know this is a lot for you so we'll talk in the morning."

With that, he leaves into his own room and I stand there in shock for a second. My mind is blank as I take off my clothes and get in the shower. My thoughts start racing when I lay in bed. I can't sleep, running over the events of today, trying to find a way to rationalize them. The worst part is the little glimmer of hope blooming in my chest. I don't find sleep until the sun is just starting to rise outside my window.

***

I wake up in the early afternoon, still feeling exhausted. I haven't slept in this late since highschool. Throwing on some clothes and putting my curls in a bun, I make my way into the living room, expecting Dominic to be there. To my surprise, he's nowhere to be seen. On the counter, there is a note and I pick it up and read it.

Went to the gym, will be back at 3 pm. We'll talk then.
-Dominic

I'm relieved that the talk he said we will have is postponed. I go about my day for a while, having a bowl of cereal and responding to texts. Then I get restless. Without Dominic here there is nothing to do. I decide to call Mia and see if she can come over.

"Hey, Sis," Mia answers.

"Are you busy today? Dominic left and I'm bored."

"Not at all, Silas is working today. I'll call Dee and we'll come over for a girls day!" Mia says excitedly. I roll my eyes, Dee and Mia are already partners in crime. We hang up and I wait for them to come over, bored out of my mind. When I see their car pull up in the driveway I excitedly open the door before they even get to it.

"Okay, spill the tea," Dee says as soon as she crosses the threshold of the door, immediately going to the fridge.

"About what?" I ask, confused. I'm not usually up to date on gossip.

"What's happening between you and my brother. There has to be something, he doesn't just let anyone call him by his real name. Other than you, my mom and I are the ones allowed to call him Dominic," Dee and Mia plop down on the couch, several snacks in hand.

"There's nothing. Dominic and I are just friends, that's all," I state, face heating up as I sit down next to them. I just wanted them to keep me company but it backfired and now I'm being interrogated.

"Bull. I've known you my whole life and you don't even light up around me the way you do around him," Mia tells me. "Now let me and aunt Dee in on the tea. We won't tell a soul."

I'm hesitant at first but I really do need some advice about this whole thing. I know Dee is Dominic's sister but Mia wouldn't bring her here if she thought she would say a word of any of this to Dominic. So I sit there on the couch and tell them everything, from what happened at the fair to yesterday and all my doubts. They both listen intently, not interrupting. When I'm done there is a short moment of silence.

"Sephie, are freaking crazy?!" Mia exclaims.

"What?! No," I say, offended.

"Dominic literally spelled it out for you and you still can't see. No man goes this much out of his way for a girl he thinks of as a friend. He freaking kissed you! You have to be out of your mind if you interpret that any other way."